Pubs Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Pubs Comments

pauloyick
Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 13:54.
It was Ronnies Bar before it became BuzbysLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:19.
Fondly remember the Christmas kids parties at town ground back in the 80s, and the team triumphantly coming back too. And the greyhound track! My granddad Don Sephton was on the committee back in the day tooLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:18.
Used to love this pub. Proper friendly atmosphere and a real old fashioned local in a sea of, what was at the time, Westfield wine barsLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:16.
Does anyone have any photos of the area around here from back in the 80s and 90s? I grew up in Sutton and it's weird to see how much that area has changed now what with the old duck pond going and the housing estate coming in. I went to school at Cuthies in the 90s and this was all my walk back home. That bit opposite the Trouty with the big high wall behind which the old man kept his horse and cart, the Coppersmiths, Beehive etc. So many memoriesLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:13.
Famously called 'The Swinging Tit' because the Brasserie sign used to swing like mad with the breeze. Many happy memories of summer evenings after work in the beer garden back in '99. Think I got my second ever underage drinking session underway here too in the mid 90sLink to Pub
bikersue
Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 23:00.
Hello, my name is Sue Wright and I am a newbie to the St Helens Connect group.
I have been tracing my family history and have found that my Great Great Aunt on my Dads side (Martha Scarisbrick)  was the wife of John Rigby.
I wanted to ask you where you got the information about the Transfer of Licences January 1890 from?
I know that they married in 1892 and were still the Licencees on the 1901 Census, but must have left the trade before the 1911 Census.
I realise that your post is dated 2009, so I hope I haven't ruined your day in asking questions about an "old post"

Kind regards,
Sue

Link to Pub
vswift
Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 21:21.
1845 -47 os map has Elephant and Castle Inn probably the earlier one with the man in the door The larger one looks later style not an Inn more a hotel

Link to Pub
Olliebeak
Fri, 5 Jan 2018, 12:15.
James Rose was my gt-gt-grandfather.

He took over the License at 'The Ship' after leaving 'The Hare & Hounds' on Liverpool Road/Tontine Street/Bridgewater Street.
Link to Pub
Brianza
Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 15:49.
Before going to the Friday Co-op dance in 1960, four of us sixteen year olds tried to buy our first alcoholic drink in The Sephton.
In the bar, after a long discussion, we decided we liked sherry because that is what our parents had in the house over Christmas and we had tasted it.
Having seen John Wayne ordering whisky with glasses we asked for a bottle of Bristol Cream and four glasses. The barman held his arm up, pointed to the door and said OUT. Memories!!!
Link to Pub
Zeta
Sun, 12 Mar 2017, 19:08.
Was this pub across from Eccleston hall collieryLink to Pub
Brianza
Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 9:42.
In the late 60s I used to go every Friday night to listen to the singers and a pianist who could play every tune in the world in whatever key the volunteer was singing, "you hum it. I'll play it". Brilliant days with John Derbyshire controlling events by shouting "one singer one song" when people joined in the singing.
I had my stag party there in 1970 (well before travelling to Prague was the fashion) and had a great time - so I was told.
Link to Pub
tessmop
Fri, 25 Nov 2016, 13:28.
This is no longer a Pub,it is now F.W. Marsh funeral services.Link to Pub
halj
Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 14:56.
Still there and just been re-vamped, well worth a visitLink to Pub
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 23:16.
@ billinge lump

Do you know if it is closed for good (unlikely) or just between tenants/management?
Link to Pub