Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

rayrob
Tue, 1 Mar 2011, 0:07.
i remember all the places you say we had to walk to Scoop with fond memories. I also remember a group of us lads making our own fiberglass canoes in the woodwork centre.We took them and a dingy we borrowed from eddie camp school up to the lake district one summer. We went up to the lakes in the back of a Heatons removal van, canoes dingy and tents all packed into the back along with the group of lads that went. We where peeking out the back of the van all the way up the motorway, dont think health and safety would allow that nowadays..lol. The last year i was there was when it went mixed but they did not mix my year but we did get to go into the girls side for lessons. i have some pictures of the lads in my year and some of the gang that went to the lakes.

scoop
Mon, 28 Feb 2011, 20:51.
..I attended Cenny Mod from 1966 to 1970,the girls school was in College St the boys in North Road.The entrance exam was easy,just fail your 11 plus ,I failed with honours but so did the rest of Thatto Heath. Windle Pilks for T.D, Y.M.C.A the gym Lowe House dinner Bishop Road games ,Corporation St woodwork and metalwork baths at Boundry Road.I left at 15 having failed the school leavers exam but I still walk 20 miles a week, so all you lot who pay memberships for a gym. You should of gone to Cenny Mod you will be thick has a plank,but fit has a butchers dog. SCOOP Link to School
eddiedunc
Fri, 25 Feb 2011, 16:19.
Back Row: ?,Smith,Joan Anders,Ray Pierce,Geoff Finney,Norman Traynor,Kenny Parr,Rhoda Clayworth,June Foster,Lorna Wilson.

Third Row: John Davies.?.?.Brian French,?,Roy Clare,Keith Stratton,Eddie Duncan,?.

Second Row: ?,?,Laura Woods,Rhona Roberts,Eileen Bott,Doreen Wetton,?,?,Hilda Potter,?,?,Ruth Watkins,Marion Foy.

First Row: Joey Anders,Jimmy Foster,Desi Jackman,Maurice Taylor,Gordon Hammond,Arthur Slater,Gary Atherton,Ken Booth, Gordon Cave.
Alan
Wed, 23 Feb 2011, 13:03.
The top floor of that school was the "Food Office" in the war-time and immediate post-war 1940s where people used to get their hand-outs of orange juice, rose-hip syrup, powdered milk and cod-liver oil. The free facility was later moved to a single-storey prefabricated building in Fenton? Street near the bottom of Boundary RoadLink to School
eddiedunc
Tue, 22 Feb 2011, 22:25.
St Mary's was also a senior school. My wife spent all her school years thereLink to School
DEVON BOY
Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 8:06.
left when st cuthberts opened sister agnes the head was a right tyrent we used to call her the black nagLink to School
DEVON BOY
Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 7:55.
started on the day it openedLink to School
moody
Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 18:15.
Hated this school, hope its changed for the kids these days, I also hope that the nuns and priests are not running it anymore. Link to School
gypsygeoff
Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 0:55.
I went to this school.It was originally built in 1900 with local Sandstone from the Brethertons quarries.Bartholemew Bretherton built the church in 1833,it was a copy of St.Bartholemew of the lake in Rome.
The original school literally fell on our heads due to dry rot in the early 1960's.
The school that stands today was opened in 1963.
Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 0:18.
When I started at the senior school in 1969 (black uniform) the tie was diagonal striped amber and blue. Was it different when the uniform was brown?

An image of a badge would be good to have....
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 19:58.
What were the school houses called? Gerard, Bold ... ??

When was it closed and when was it demolished?

I remember after closure, some time in the 80s, that a part of the building was taken over by a union faction who opened a bar (The Tressell Tavern).
Pam39
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 16:01.
I started Rivington Nursery school at Easter1942 and finished in 1946. Children then had to leave Rivington Road and go to another school. I went to Knowley Road school till I was eleven,and then onto Central Modern till I was fifteen.Link to School
eejayess
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 13:01.
Formerly Notre DameLink to School
SWIMMER
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:21.
The boys entrance was opposite the cap on North Road, and the girls was opposite what is now the Police Station in College Street, however there were also entrances for the girls at the top and bottom of the school.

The school day was split up between windle pilk and the library building
Windle Pilk held the cookery and typing classes for the girls not sure for the boys think prob tech drawing.

To be more precise the building at the side of the library which would now be opposite the theatre held the gym and the pottery classes. I am not sure if there was anything else in there but that is all I can remember.

The main academic work of the school was done in College Street. There was a high wall that seperated the boys from the girls and never the twain should meet. The headmistress when I first attend was a Miss Mckay, when the school went comprehensive a male head arrived called Mr Smart.

Also when the school went comprehensive the uniform change from pink and navy to a cerise coloured tie with a blue stripe, can't remember the other colour in it.
SWIMMER