All Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing All Comments

pauloyick
Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 13:54.
It was Ronnies Bar before it became BuzbysLink to Pub
RATTY
Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 21:16.
Although Croppers Hill House is visible on an OS map from 1850.   In 1876 Thomas Beecham acquired more property in Westfield Street where he started to erect his first factory. He moved to a new home, Hill House on Croppers Hill, in the summer of 1877 with his son, William, his wife Sarah having died the previous May.Link to Street/Place
Chris Cassidy
Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 15:39.
My mum went to Parish Church in the 1930s. I'm currently doing research for her eulogy. Has anybody any info? I always thought she went there until she was 14 but I don't think that's right. Parr Mount has also been mentioned. Link to School
Boris
Thu, 29 Mar 2018, 15:29.
In 1960, my 80 year old grandad and I, got off the bus from town at the junction of Ashtons Green Lane and Fleet Lane. He had been keeping me out of the way whilst my parents flitted from Elephant Lane to a council house on the Ashton's Green estate. It was a dark, December evening about six pm, and at first he was disorientated. Then he turned to me in amazement. 'This is wheer I fost started wok..day after I wus twelve and sent underground'...This would have been in early December 1892...'I was frightened to deeth'. I've forgotten whether he told me that his wages were a shilling a day or a shilling a week.Link to Pit
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:19.
Fondly remember the Christmas kids parties at town ground back in the 80s, and the team triumphantly coming back too. And the greyhound track! My granddad Don Sephton was on the committee back in the day tooLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:18.
Used to love this pub. Proper friendly atmosphere and a real old fashioned local in a sea of, what was at the time, Westfield wine barsLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:16.
Does anyone have any photos of the area around here from back in the 80s and 90s? I grew up in Sutton and it's weird to see how much that area has changed now what with the old duck pond going and the housing estate coming in. I went to school at Cuthies in the 90s and this was all my walk back home. That bit opposite the Trouty with the big high wall behind which the old man kept his horse and cart, the Coppersmiths, Beehive etc. So many memoriesLink to Pub
Mark Cunliffe
Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 16:13.
Famously called 'The Swinging Tit' because the Brasserie sign used to swing like mad with the breeze. Many happy memories of summer evenings after work in the beer garden back in '99. Think I got my second ever underage drinking session underway here too in the mid 90sLink to Pub
Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 23:25.
A picture from 1957/8 - sent in by ozziew. Click the thumbnail for the bigger picture.
ozziew wrote:

Help fill in the blanks please as everybody on this picture will have been born 70 years ago by the end of August 2018. If I have made any mistakes with the following names - apologies!

Back row: Michael Harrison - Don't know - ? Tabern, Philip Macdonald - Austin Whiteside - Arthur Bate - Brian Musgrove - Don't know

4th row: Carol Measures - Don't know - Don't know - Don't know - Ian Woodyer - Geoffrey Davies - Eric Glynn - Gillian Cottom - Linda Thomas

3rd row: Lesley Mason - Don't know - Linda Bridge - Gillian Ensor - Don't know - Susan Shenton - Don't know - Carol Cook - Susan Buckley

2nd row: Don't know - Elizabeth Holden - Judith Whittle - Don't know - Don't know - Don't know - Helen Prescot - Helen Noddings

Front row: William Flood - David Sumner - Michael Pendlebury - Christopher Pickering - Stephen Gilman - ? Critchley - Paul Conqueror

Best wishes to all of you,

Ozziew
vswift
Wed, 28 Feb 2018, 0:12.
This is Ravenhead Glass formerly Plate Glass Works viewed from Prescot Road showing Carriage Drive and Dam before Pilkingtons head office was built It's not a CollieryLink to Photo
Alan Ashton
Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 14:29.
I lived at 78 1939 1961 Alan ashton.Link to Street/Place
bikersue
Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 23:00.
Hello, my name is Sue Wright and I am a newbie to the St Helens Connect group.
I have been tracing my family history and have found that my Great Great Aunt on my Dads side (Martha Scarisbrick)  was the wife of John Rigby.
I wanted to ask you where you got the information about the Transfer of Licences January 1890 from?
I know that they married in 1892 and were still the Licencees on the 1901 Census, but must have left the trade before the 1911 Census.
I realise that your post is dated 2009, so I hope I haven't ruined your day in asking questions about an "old post"

Kind regards,
Sue

Link to Pub
vswift
Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 21:21.
1845 -47 os map has Elephant and Castle Inn probably the earlier one with the man in the door The larger one looks later style not an Inn more a hotel

Link to Pub
Kwisatz
Sat, 6 Jan 2018, 15:08.
Hey lizthemeerkat, I remember Steve Ryan. I think he was at eddycamp 72 to 77 though.Link to School
Olliebeak
Fri, 5 Jan 2018, 12:15.
James Rose was my gt-gt-grandfather.

He took over the License at 'The Ship' after leaving 'The Hare & Hounds' on Liverpool Road/Tontine Street/Bridgewater Street.
Link to Pub