Sign in to follow this  
terry shute

St Helens Heroes

What about Henry Berry? I am not sure where he was born exactly but it was somewhere near here. Surely he must be the most famous?

OK So who is Henry Berry? Why should we remember him?

Joe Gormley OBE President of National Union of Mineworkers

Remember the three day week and the power cuts?

Born in Ashton in Makerfield.

As was Kim Marsh singer in Hearsay and ?actress in Corrie.

Do these count?

Hollywood actor Herbert Mundin was born in St Helens and appeared in The Adventures of Robin Hood, alongside Errol Flynn (1938), Sherlock Holmes with Clive Brook (1932), Adorable with Janet Gaynor (1933), Mutiny on the Bounty with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable (1935), MGM's David Copperfield (1935), Tarzan Escapes with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan (1936), and Charlie Chan's Secret, also in 1935.

Hollywood actor Herbert Mundin was born in St Helens

At 206 Windleshaw Road, in fact.

Interesting, that barbers shop in Duke Street was still run by a member of the Groves family in the fifties when I used to go there for my short back and sides. An abiding memory of the place was a picture of Winston Churchill on the wall

just reading about arthur groves the butchers shop opposite was in west st. and was owned by arthur jones who was the fatjher of jack barnes,

barnes wasnt his real name.

J. W. (Jack) Jones British Amateur golf champion.

Invited to play in the Masters at Augusta. I can't remember the year.

But more famous as Jack Barnes and ran his shop at the bottom of Bridge Street.

The shop is still there.Now the Swinton Insurance.

A true St Helens Hero

th_Morrisjpeg.jpg

Wilfred Morris was born in St Helens in 1896, the son of John and Eliza. On the 1901 Census, he is shown as living with his parents and siblings at 90 Greenfield Road, St Helens. His fathers occupation being shown as a stone mason.

From his Medal Index Card, I know that he originally went out to France with his unit on the 3 January 1915, with the rank of Sergeant.

The unit War Diary of 4.1.1916 records the award of a Mention in Despatches (MID).

The MID was gazetted on the 1.1.1916.

The 419 Field Company War Diary for the 31st July 1917 records;

"6.35pm ordered Sgt Morris with 10 men to assist in consolidation at SPREE FARM"

In his report to O.C. 419 Fd Coy, 2 Lieut J W Talbot states:

"Following is a summary of the work done by No.3 Section of the Company during the action of 31st July 1917, together with details of the various working parties.My duties consisted of 3 distinct jobs as follows:-

(1) Searching of WIELTJE-GRAVENSTAFEL ROAD up to the third objective for enemy mines and booby traps.

(2) Searching of German Trenches as far as they extended over the front covered by 166th Infantry Brigade.

(3) Examination of ground from WIELTJE to 3rd objective for supply and ammunition dumps and water supplies.

My Section consisted on the morning of the battle of 2 Officers (Mr White, King's Liverpool Regt. and myself and 18 Other Ranks, all RE.

This party I split into 3 parts of various strengths to concentarate on above work as follows:-

(1) Myself and 7 men on WIELTJE-GRAVENSTAFEL RD.

(2) Mr White and 8 men on Dumps and war supply.

(3)Sergt. Morris and 3 men on traps in German Trenches.. He goes on to say:-

" At 10.48 am the parties had commenced on new work detailed to them, including that of Sergt Morris who, I arranged, should send his report to you. I would mention here that this NCO did splendid work in investigating the whole of the German trench system, and was rendered valuable assistance by Sapper Davies; these names with details of their work I have already submitted for your consideration."

Sadly, neither Sgt Morris's report or the recommendations appear to have survived. I do know that his MM was Gazetted on the 18-10-1917.

He was also awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal under AO 68 Feb 1921. His uniformed service continued and he received a Special Constabulary LS medal . Interestingly, this has the post nominal letters "M.M." after his name.

I believe he died in March 1990 in the Registration District of Glyndwr in Clwyd.

th_morris1_206.jpg

Mark

I am in the process of supplying the web site at St Helens History with some 240 or so pictures of St Helens men who served in the Great War, many of whom did not survive. I reckon it should be about a week or so until I have sent them all over, so you might like to pop over and check that site out around then.

When I last talked to Scousers (because I couldn't escape), they asked me whereabouts in Yorkshire I am from; I put them right; they all started saying "EEE by gum!"

i live down south now n I'm allways gettin that sort of thing from my london father-in-law..he keeps sayin ''app'n i i app'n'' daft southerner haha

also my grandad (ian broughton) is still really good mates ,from his saints playing days, with ROY MATHIUS who went on to win many caps for GB..I'm not too sure on dates pops played but i think it was late 60's/early 70's..he had to give up playing for saints because his cheif constable said he couldnt have 2 incomes.

cheers,

john

gary owen ex man city was from crawford street in clock face,and the late great alan a'court of liverpool and england was from rainhill.

I have only just caught this thread, and reading back I cannot believe that Clock Face produced so many professional footballers. The 'greatest' in my opinion was John Connoley, whose family lived on Clock Face Road. He palyed for Burnley and of course was in the squad of the England World Cup winning team in 1966. He did not play in the final but he did play in the earlier games of the tournament, possibly the semi final. His brother, Jimmy, still lives in town I believe.

Another 'shock'. I went to Grange Park school and thought Llewellyn was just great. He was my form master and was, to my mind, the perfect gentleman. He taught me between 1954-1959, did he change over the years?

Joyce

MY RELATION JOHN QUINN CAME FROM CLOCK FACE HE PLAYED FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY HIS BEST MATE WAS JOHN CONELLY THEY BOTH WENT TO ST THREASAS AND PLAYED IN THE SAME SCHOOL TEAM

Whilst researching my family history, I've found that my grandfather (who was called John S. Heaton); had a cousin also called John "Jack" Heaton. I'm told that Jack Heaton played for Waterloo & England (Rugby).

I've also been told that Jack Heaton had a cousin (on the other side of the family) called 'Dickie' Guest who also played for England.

Jack Heaton died some years ago; I wonder if Dickie Guest is still alive ?

I believe he's stili alive and aged 95, see http://www.espnscrum..layer/4677.html

Many thanks indeed, Alan !

I wonder where he lives ? It would be great to give him an interview.

I trawled all over the Internet looking for him, and you've found him so quickly . . . impressive stuff !

I seem to remember he went to Cowley School and that there was a photograph in what was then the Junior Common Room of him in his England kit