Sign in to follow this  
Olliebeak

Anybody from Hard Lane Estate in 50's/60's?

Hi Denise

Barrys mum was my mums best friend they lived next door but one to us ,Barry lived in Windleshaw Road when he got married,

He married a girl called Cath I think she was from prescot

Oldie

Do you know what happened to Louis (Barry Haseldine) I haven't seen him for 40 odd years

Hi denise I'm still going and well hope u are ok.we had some great times I remember the cemetery nights well plus many others baby sitting on the old ta site.wollies tec collage going to sacred heart music nights it was the 60s .I met up with sheila and joey a few years back they are both well. I often wondered where you had got to plus I'm glad u sorted yourself out u where a great girl .and we had someffantastic times which I will always remember I still remember your dad chasing me down croppers hill please reply x

It is great to hear from you. I moved to Wigan in 1971 and then to Bolton in 1987 but then back to Wigan 7 years ago. My heart is still in St.Helens though. Did you know my best friend at Tech her name was Theresa? She lives in Manchester now and we are still in touch. I am glad Sheila and Joe are well. I never see anyone from the old days since I moved but I meet up regularly with 2 of my friends from Notre Dame. Are you still working? I am but am going to reduce from full time to 3 days a week in August when I am 65. Can't believe I am that old! Where have the years gone? Do you have a son because I thought I saw you in a bookshop in Southport with a young man a couple of years ago but I didn't speak because I wasn't sure. Did you stay at Pilks? I was a bit hormonal (nutty) when I knew you but I have grown up now though my children/grandchildren still tell me I am ditzy. My Dad died when he was only 61 but my Mum is still going strong and living in Burtonwood. Are your Mum and Dad still around. Sorry I am bombarding you with questions but it has been such a long time.

just spent about an hour and a half reading this hard laner topic and found it very interesting, I didn't live on or near hard lane but I know a few of the people mentioned in the messages, Keith bradshaw ,Paul casey, Ray hutton, Phil garner, I also know a Trevor egerton don't know if it's the same person but if he worked at Pilkingtons it probably is.

Also know Colin Dixon he lived on Windle hall drive near keith bradshaw all of them are really nice people, worked with them at Pilkingtons sheetworks over the last 45 years

Keith Bradshaw is a really good mate of my brother - you may know him as well - Alan 'Tommo' Thompson. In fact, Keith even went on my sister's Hen Night in 1976 :rolleyes:.

Colin Dixon's two sisters were very good friends with both of my younger sisters.

Trevor Edgerton lived in Furness Avenue - he was one of about four brothers who were all good lads.

sorry I don't know alan, lost touch with keith shortly after he finished at pilks ,last I knew of keith he was married to a girl who lived in haresfinch, I think they split up and keith moved to some other part of town, Colin lives at dentons green , Paul casey lives off washway lane near the park, and the last place I knew that Phil garner was living was at carr mill, did Trevor work at pilkingtons ? thanks for your reply, ollie

Sorry Ecky, I do not understand what you mean.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the group. I'm just trying to find out some information about the Windle pub.

i.e

Previous landlords & when it was built. Has it always been a pub? (I know about the small off license inside)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i worked for t. winstanley rainford and worked on the building windle pub around 1959/60. it was previously cabbage hall farm land. ashalls ford dealers were next door to the building site at the time

• Like (+1) 1

Hi - I am trying to trace whereabouts of Linda Conqueror of 25 Windle Hall Drive - mentioned in Ollie's memories of Hard Lane Estate. I believe we may share a gggrandparent - I have tried bmd to see if she married, but apart from her dob in 1950, no further info. Does anyone know if she married, or where she lived/lives so I can try and contact her.

I am also a Lingholme Road "girl" - old lady now, but some good memories - except for Windleshaw Junior School - especially Danny Powell.

Hope someone can help.

Hello Dorothy,

I knew Linda, when she lived in Windle Hall Drive, when she was a teenager. She used go out with a friend of mine called Roger Moore, he was also from the Hard Lane Estate.

After I left the Windlehurst area, , I did not see Linda for very many years, and I suddenly bumped into her in Billinge, about twenty five years ago. She lived in Sefton Fold Drive then, about number 10.or number 12.

She was married, but I cannot remember the name of her spouse.

Some years after, she moved away from Billinge and I have not seen her for about 20 years.

Sorry I can't give anymore information.

Hello Dorothy - just seen your post and done a quick 'search' on Ancestry. It seems that Linda married a guy called 'Colin Bebe' in 2nd quarter 1971. Looks as though she had at least two children - Graham (1977) and Robert Edward (1974).

Also - I'm wondering if I'd know you from Lingholme Road as that's where I lived from 51-65 and 69-72.

Good Luck - hope you manage to find her. Last time I saw her, I was working in The Gerrard at the top of Dentons Green. She came in there with a group of friends on a Hen Party and they asked me to join them after I finished my shift in the Blue Parrot. Never needed inviting out twice, I went along after work and had a great evening. That must have been in 1971 - maybe it was HER Hen Party biggrin.png.

Edited by Olliebeak

Hi Dorothy, I live in the US, but following on from the previous posts, I had a quick Google for a

Colin or Linda Bebe and there's a listing/phone no. for a Colin Bebe, Sefton Fold Drive, Billinge, Wigan.

Not sure if you can trace him somehow from over there from these links? Good Luck!

http://www.phoneebook.co.uk/person.aspx?p=17714626

There's also a listing for a Bernard Bebe in Windle?

http://www.phoneebook.co.uk/person.aspx?p=17714625

And an Elsie Bebe, also in Windle?

http://www.phoneebook.co.uk/person.aspx?p=17714628

Edited by Phyll

Well, thanks to Hort, Olliebeak and Phyll for your quick response - there are certainly some links there I will follow.

Hi Ollie - I lived at number 20 - a few years older than you - from 1943 to 1964. But my mother lived there until late 1980's.

Just a quick note to say - thanks for the info re Linda (Conqueror) & Colin Bebe, I think I now have an address in Warrington - thanks to the electoral roll - so hopefully I will be able to contact her.

Many thanks Dorothy

Well done Dorothy. As you said, I now see all those names that Ollie said are listed under Warrington.

Edited by Phyll

I lived in hard lane in the 50s Hunters Molyneux Hulmes Greenalls Griffith Millingtons Hulls Bagshaws Jones Phillips Swifts Bates Irelands Cunliffes Dixons Ross Scotts Dixons porters dorning Thomases To name a few There was a shop set up in a house in city gardens -- Faircloughs Hardlane Quarry was still a going concernand the house next to the quarry run a veg shop from the garage

I think there were 2 shops in a houses in City Gardens. One was a cake shop, it was the second house from the junction with Rivington Avenue going towards Hard Lane. It was on the none council house side of the road.

Further along, and nearer to Hard Lane, on the same side, was a sweet shop in a house. I think it was called Fairclough's.

Being new to the group I have enjoyed all the topics The shop you mentioned was oposite birch ave Peter Ball Henry Reed John Alexander Francis Salisbury all lived round there

That shop was called.Fairclough/s.

Peter Ball lived at 3 Birch Avenue along with brothers, Albert, Brian and Richard.

Richard, was always called Dick as most Richards are. However, with the surname Ball, he was Dick Ball, or to some Dicky Ball.

No one believes that I went to school with Dick Ball.

Across the road at number 2 was John Alexander. - he was also in my class at school.

I remember Francis Salisbury, but I do not know where he lived.

Hope this helps Jasper.

Sauce used to live in the cul-de-sac half way up Birch ave His dad was the workshop foreman at Ashalls garage His cousin lived on Hard Lane Ste Banks who had a sister I think called Lillian I believe Les Martindale lives in Balls old house {He used to live th first house in Princess Ave

I knew a Guerrnsey girl called Marilyn Algrante whose mother ran a small childrens home on the Hard Lane Estate. She used to come down and play with our four Alsatians when she was about 14 and owned a small brown mongrel.

later in life she worked at an Alsatian Kennels in Hampshire and later became Manager of RSPCA Dog's Home at Halewood.

There were two children's homes on Windle Hall Drive - one half way down the hill on the left-hand side which backed onto the East Lancs Road, next-door to 'the swamp'. The other one was on the right-hand side facing the houses in between the two halves of Furness Avenue.