Sign in to follow this  
Olliebeak

Anybody from Hard Lane Estate in 50's/60's?

Hi Phyll - I'm not sure if I mentioned that Anne Parr was a friend of both my younger sisters - Susan and Audrey. I don't remember anybody surnamed Casey, but Susan and Audrey may well know of them as they lived on the estate much longer than I did. I'll ask when I next speak to them.

To Stephen and Ollie, Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I got mixed up, my cousins lived and one still does live, at Whalley Avenue.

Edited by Phyll

Back in the 60's I went out with a young lady from Whalley Ave (I think it was). Her name was Joyce and worked at Pimbletts in Westfield St. Fond memory.

Anne Beck's house was at the rear of ours - somewhere around No.6 Furness Ave. Could possibly have been next-door to Tonka :).

Our paths crossed just after I left school [rivvy] and I believe, if my memory serves me correctly she went to work on one of the industrial estates between st helens and Liverpool.

One of my sisters, or my mum, may remember where she went to :).

I have a second cousin named John Rowe who lived in Furness Avenue with his sister Jennifer. He was there around 1953 until he married. I think he married a girl from Liverpool so is probably not around town now. Anybody remember him? He could help me with my family tree!1

Does anyone remember the Garners..Billy and Phil. I think they had a sister..they lived at the bottom of Windle hall drive.

Hello again ARJ -

Yeah I missed the snowy winter of 1962/63 but it was a good one in Queens Rec (I was living in Lingholme Road then). That was my first year at Cowley Girls. We had great fun on the Bunny Hills (the old air raid shelters) that got covered in snow that winter. We risked life and limb climbing them in the ice to slide down the sides on our bums. Many a gaberdine mac got the a*** worn out of it that winter!!!!!

I remember St. Mary's cos I went to Sunday School there - the hall was like a church when the shutters were removed. Behind them were the choir stalls and altar. You kids may not have known that at the time. We also had the Pathfinder youth club in there on a tuesday evening.

Us C.G.'s got the p*** taken out of us by St.Mary's kids about our black stockings that we were allowed to wear in the winter months. Wouldn't be allowed now - black stockings and sussies for school, hehe!!!!!

I lived at 77 Windle Hall Drive (in the third cul-de-sac from the shops) next-door-but-one to Brian and David Fishwick. Other kids we hung around with were Georgie Parr, Christine Paige, Tommy Evans, Peter/Alison/Paul Roberts (Alison was killed in a car accident near Windle Lights), Brian/Gordon Edgerton (Furness Ave), Karen Moorst (also Furness Ave - dad worked on the buses), Johnny Whittle (Furness Ave), Linda/Doreen/Olga/Kenny/Paul Cheshire (Wyresdale Ave), Johnny/Peter/Maureen Urbanowski (Furness Ave), Linda Conqueror 25 WHD, George Parr (Whalley Ave), Keith/Ian Finney (Whalley Ave), Brian Nevin (Whalley Ave - related to THE Nevins). I also remember Johnny and Joannie Mather from further down WHD nearer to where you lived, but they didn't bother coming up to our end of the estate very much - had their own little crowd! I'm sure there were others that we knew - but my mind has drawn a blank for now. Names take some digging out of the deepest, darkest recesses these days, lol!!!

Do any of those names ring bells with you?

Did you work at Pilks? cos you mentioned a Pilks Dance at Ruskin Drive? Most ordinary Pilks dances were held out of town but the Christmas ones for each department were often held at Ruskin Drive. I worked at Cowley Hill Works on leaving school (in the Electric Office) and then went to Head Office in the Travel Bureau. After that I worked at GBE (garage at Windle Lights) and then Fibreglass Ravenhead in the Specifications Office. I also worked evenings much of the time in various pubs in St. Helens. Royal Oak (East Lancs Road), Lingholme Hotel, Wheatsheaf (Westfield Street) and Gerrard Arms (Dentons Green).

Ollie

Hello

I'm the younger sister of Alison Roberts (plus Linda, Peter, Ste, Tony and Paul) as mentioned above, and grew up on WHD from 1964. Mum was Joanie who was friends with most people up there. Unfortunately Peter and Ste are also no longer with us, miss them every day. Remember my childhood being pretty happy and had great fun with Lorraine Sandford, Dave Page (my mum helped deliver him! and I adored his mum- I used to call her Queeny.), Eric Paige ( I think he's still there) , Sue Stout & "Little Andy" Dixon, and often joined in the huge 'bung off' games with kids from all over the estate. I was also freinds with Janet Boardman and Magaret Roughly. Our family was also friendly with Sylvesters from Whalley Avenue and the Jacksons from Furness Avenue, but probably closest to Parrs- next door but one. I went to Windle Hurst when Mr Smeltzer was head, and I thought he was great, such a nice man. Played in the band, and thought we were fabulous! How I'd love the hear what we were really like.

My mum lived on WHD till January 2006 (she passed away at home) and was one of the first families to live on the estate. I remember the bread van, pop man, rag and bone man. At Megan's chippie- Peter and Paul always got free stuff off her-never found out why? I can't remember the name of the people who ran the sweet shop, Mrs Swift worked in the grocery store - can't recall the owners name and then the veg shop - I can picture their faces but I'm hopeless remembering names. We were never really allowed and the quary but often played there,and spent long summers building tree houses in the cemetary, after climbing over the garages off Furness Avenue and across cowley field. The two kids homes that we were always a little scared of, but didn't really know why. I'll come back when I can remember more!!

Hi Gilly, welcome.gif to Connect. I'm sure Olliebeak will reply soon, I think she's still on her hols at the moment.

Did you know The Caseys from Whalley Avenue? They are my cousins.

Edited by Phyll

Hi Joyce, Joe was older than me, but the ones around my age are Terry and Paul.

I don't want to put all their names on here, but I'll send you a PM if that's okay?

Hi Joyce, Sent you a PM.

Don't know why I've not picked up on this before but my cousins lived on WHD, they were the Atherton's: Barbara, Geoff, Graham and Michael. Their dad and mum were John (Jack) and Joan.

Hi Phyll I too remember sitting on an old annual on top of a skate and going pell mell down WHD. to stop we purposley crashed into the privet hedges. Sometimes we went down the hill on a tut tut as well. Does anybody remember playing in the 'swamp' on a rope swing tied to a tree. It was opposite the houses on WHD about half way down the hill. And did anybody fall off into the swamp like me! Happy days!

Hi MargLyn, welcome.gif to Connect. Hope you are enjoying all the great memories on here. ohyeah.gif

I am new to this site as I no longer live in St.Helens but it was like going back in time reading about old Hard Laners. I remember the Stirzakers and I knew the Two sisters who married Dave and his brother. I also remember Jonnie and Joannie Mather and twins called Smith, two boys who did not look alike. I went out with Louis (Barry Haseldine) and we hung around with Nev Parr and Joe Hutton.Joe married a girl I knew called Sheila Plumpton and I believe he joined the RAF. I was mad as a hatter in those days, all raging teenage hormones and I think I probably owe Louis an apology for the way I behaved but I was crazy about him. Anyway Louis if you read this, it took me a long time to get my act together but I finally did and I hope you are having a good life. Though I did not live in Hard Lane area I spent a lot of time there and remember many evening walks through the cemetery!

Welcome to Connect Denise, i lived in Rivington Avenue, not quite Hard Lane but I knew lots of the Hard Laners.

No sorry but I am sure others on here will soon pick up the post and maybe provide some snippets of info or memories of past times.

Thanks. I left St. Helens 40 years ago but it is still home to me and it has been really good looking at this site.

Oldie

Do you know what happened to Louis (Barry Haseldine) I haven't seen him for 40 odd years