St.Helens Old Adverts

Big_Jeff_Leo

14 hours ago, DEXTER said:

Crank Gunsite was very busy.

Gosh,that was still there in the early 1950s. We used to bike out there and play in the Nissen huts

• Like (+1) 1

Yep the huts as well.

There is a nice underground reservoir we built.I saw the  site map of the gunsite.I WAS A FOOL COS  I COULD HAVE COPIED IT!!!I am sure someone took it?after the reservoir was completed.

I bet Terry Pinder who was the project manager from Billinge had it on his wall?

• Like (+1) 1

Y

added 6 minutes later
On 13/01/2023 at 23:40, HORT said:

Germany did not target St Helens, they just dumped the bombs intended for Liverpool as the planes returned home.

Yes, the two bomb holes in Clinkham Wood.

Edited by Brianza
Error
  • Like (+1) 1

Old mother riley.

From what I know HE was a nasty bit of stuff.Kitty was actually his wife who he didn't really treat nice.

added 2 minutes later

I wonder how many people used to collect autographs.My mum used to have a book,

Ever used when we went to bpool.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DEXTER said:

Old mother riley.

From what I know HE was a bit of stuff. Kitty was actually his wife who he didn't really treat nice.

Whether he was nice or not? She was also said to have her own faults, but they were married for nearly 40 yrs! And they had a Son together.

And they were funny on stage & films! :lol:

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

This is what it says on the link below.

" I often seriously wonder if there is an entertainer as universally disliked by those who knew her, and historians, as Kitty McShane. Kenny's account of their lives only seems to add more evidence of her malice, insensitivity and drunken cruelties."

PLANNINECRUNCH.BLOGSPOT.COM

By Doug Gibson Let's face it, in America at least, to most cult movies fans, Arthur Lucan (AKA Old Mother Riley), is a footnote, the eccentr...

Edited by Phyll

21 hours ago, Bert said:

Old Mother Riley, a trailer for Mrs Brown's boys?

This is what it said above on the Wiki page.

"There is a comedic line of descent from Old Mother Riley to Brendan O'Carroll's character and programme Mrs. Brown's Boys: "She was a larger than life character who's noisy, over the top, always getting into scrapes."

Which was quoted from here...

WWW.BBC.COM

What does the continuing success of Mrs Brown's Boys say about comedy in the 21st Century?

Edited by Phyll

21 hours ago, DEXTER said:

Did you ever go to the father Christmas there.

I can't remember seeing Father Christmas at Helena House, though I do remember seeing Father Christmas at Oxleys and I do remember buying dolls/dolls clothes at H H in the Toy Dept. and as the years flew by, going to test & buy make up & of course meeting my mates & boys at "The Blow Out". Happy Memories.

Such a shame it was demolished. :sad?:

More magical memories here...

WWW.STHELENSSTAR.CO.UK

FROM the ‘blow out’ in the building’s cosy corner, to the ballroom where couples danced the night away, to the wonderful array of shops and,…

• Like (+1) 1

The Father Christmas's used to come from central station sometimes to ixleys and helena house.Imeven remember circus parades from the station as well.

When SLINKIES came out.There was a man showing them on the stairs that led upto the ballroom.

PS.

My mum used to work on the BEECHAMS POWDERS LINE WHEN WE HAD THE FLU.

There was knack in putting the powder in the packet and folding the pack.ALL BY HAND.

All were paid piece work.Any underweighed etc docked!!

Even a bigger ps

MY MUM SHOWED ME HOW THEY FOLDED THE PACKS,HORT.SADLY ITS ALL MECHANISED NOW BUT WITH MY SKILL I COULD HAVE EARNED MILLIONS ON CHUMOCRACY.WHAT SAY YOU DONKS?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DEXTER said:

The Father Christmas's used to come from central station sometimes to ixleys and helena house

.......and my God did he come early. Our marriage was in St Helens Parish Church on October 28th 1967. As we were having our photos taken outside, there was a Father Christmas procession with brass band from Shaw Street Station down Church Street to Oxleys

• Like (+1) 1

More memories of "Oxleys".

"Helena House's Xmas Grotto opened for business in their Baldwin Street basement on the 7th. And so did Oxleys, although their Santa arrived in their Claughton Street department store in some style! Redgate Boys Silver Band led the procession from Shaw Street station and along Church Street with Father Christmas travelling not in a sleigh but in what was described as the Royal Iris boat."

"The man in the red cloak then took up pride of place in Oxleys Fairyland Grotto where there were free balloons and sweets and "bumper parcels" costing 3 shillings. Boys and girls too clever for their own good might have wondered why Father Christmas was sitting in his Magic Cave grotto in Helena House at 10am and then half-an-hour later was arriving at the train station on his way to Oxleys! He must have had a body double!"

WWW.STHELENSHISTORYTHISWEEK.INFO

St Helens 50 Years Ago This Week news stories from November 1970, including the Sutton gipsies that threatened an invasion of St Helens town centre, Father Christmas arrives in style at Oxleys in Claughton...
Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1