Just a few questions regarding certain areas.

Dr Display

Greenalls brewery was a landmark in the town when I was growing up. It was part and parcel of the town and employed a lot of local people. I loved the smell of the hops which wafted through the town centre, but just as many people hated it. The main entrance was in Hall St. and as been already said the Brewery was within what is now the Hardshaw centre

• Like (+1) 3

Plenty info on Wiki about Greenalls... personally I'll never forget a story I heard about the place crawling with cockroaches as a child. I was told they liked the dark and warmth of the brewing vats and had to be scooped off the liquid as it was brewing. Never liked beer but that story made sure I never touched a drop! :)

• Like (+1) 1

I worked at Watney's brewery, Isleworth, 1959. I can confirm 2 pints per worker per day was free. Delivery driver and 2nd man were offered a pint at each "drop". I remember one strong union member driver reminding me that we had fought for a lunch break and that he fully intended taking one. So we walked back in the pub and had another. 

Yes DD, In front of the Town Hall

St Helens Town Hall from Cotham Street, 1973 - St Helens Community Archive:  celebrating local heritage

Great over view shot of how it currently is.

St Helens Merseyside UK aerial photograph | aerial photographs of Great  Britain by Jonathan C.K. Webb

The Depot was where the North West Museum of Transport is and directly across the road as well. The main depot on Jackson Street opened in 1947.

St.Helens Corporation Transport ceased to exist in 1974 after the Town was absorbed into Merseyside, becoming the Merseyside PTE, and at midnight on the 31st March 1974.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Dr Display said:

Did the buses originally start and finish outside the Town Hall? 

Some did, but not all - a number of buses left from Bridge St. No 7, 8, 96, 97 etc; some left from Baldwin St. plus a few other places around the town 

Edited by kizzy
  • Like (+1) 2

No, the brewery didn't cover that area. The brewery was enclosed with Bickerstaffe St. acting as one of its boundary walls. The bus station was built outside of the brewery footprint and on the opposite side of the road

Edited by kizzy
  • Like (+1) 1

DD on the corner of west street and french street in toll bar is the remains of the old toll bar colliery shaft it is in the grounds of the Methodist church hall. Lots of little hidden gems like that are scattered around town, if you want to learn about local history the themed nights at momos cafe in Westfield street are brilliant. 

• Like (+1) 1