Old Photographs of St.Helens

Ah, Helena House. I had a summer holiday job there fetching grocery stuff down from trhe stock-room as a 16 year-old lad in the 1950s. £2-12s-6d a week. Seemed like a fortune

The ironmongers building in the third photo still has the same format of frontage today as the Rendezvouz Bar that is now on the same footprint.

added 6 minutes later

And they have bricked up the void above it on the side of Wolverhampton House.

57 minutes ago, wobblybob said:

The ironmongers building in the third photo still has the same format of frontage today

What is the name of the street that it's in? I can vaguely remember it but cannot recall the street where it is

1 hour ago, Alan said:

What is the name of the street that it's in? I can vaguely remember it but cannot recall the street where it is

Its on the intersection of Church Street and Shaw Street Alan....to the Right of the Quakers Meeting house as you look at it

Yeah, great photos, I've probably seen them before, but it's still great to see them again. :thumb:

I liked the one of "Maypole", I remember my Mum working in there when I was little, one of many various great shops she worked in over the years. 

10 minutes ago, HORT said:

My point was that the glass works was FORSTERS

Does it look like it could be to you ? there was a chimney there in the 60s it was knocked down by Harry Davis from Blackbrook  brick by brick IIRR 

added 2 minutes later

My grandad Dave Griffiths worked there on the Globe ! 

From the position of the gasholder in the distance which was between Standish St and the new double locks, I'd say the photo was taken between Corporation St and Standish St looking north-eastish. The Standish St. swing bridge being at the left hand edge of the photo.

• Like (+1) 1

The pic showing man and dog outside pub ?Was he a distant relative of HORT?

I keep looking for me in the pics.

Has anyone found themselves or their house on the demolished areas pics.Did DAVE say his house was on one?

Oh I remember those narrow back alleyways at the back of Oxford and other streets very well. We were lucky in Harris St as our alleyways were wide enough to accommodate bin lorries to empty the middens

• Like (+1) 1