1921 Census

RATTY

I think it does some ordering by the registration district. After I'd gathered the people for the list I made, I ordered them by surname > first name.

They're in amongst those found with just 'Pilkington Glass' (William & Henry Noel), or if you look for the Pye surname with Pilkington Glass at St Helens, but the Employer search isn't as great as it could be.

• Like (+1) 1

I am still resisting the temptation to spend anything on it, so far anything I want to look up is more about satisfying curiosity than any great help in researching my tree.

I wish it had been out a few weeks earlier, I bought a marriage cert for someone I needed proof of father, when I got his census record he was living with his parents between sea voyages, I could have saved myself at least£9 :rolleyes:

added 23 minutes later

I didn't mention that this census shows all members of armed forces wherever in the world they were  stationed (except Scotland) Merchant Navy men and fishing vessels in port or returning a few days after the date, which incidentally  was  19th June 1921.

If you buy a transcript, along with the overall view of the persons present you get a detail view of each person listed if you click on the name, you also get extra pages, one of which is a newspaper from that week in time.

This is the last census now until the 1951 which won't be open until 2052, there wasn't one in 41 and the 31 was destroyed by fire so its pretty interesting to me plus I like to have all the pieces of a jigsaw if I can possibly find them. Call me OCD.

I agree too - and I am a long time member of Find my Past, but I'm not sure my nerves could handle more revelations about those gone before me.  I don't seem to have many 'normal' people in my tree - ex cons', drunks, deserting husbands and fathers, nutters anonymous really going back to the 1600's.  My own Mum - one of a long line of stubborn, pig-headed indomitable Gerrard women (and yes, now me, my daughter and granddaughter are the same line) would argue with herself in a phone box and God help you if you crossed her more than once.  My Nan - she rushed in from 'the pictures' in the early 50's straight through the house in Boundary Road to the outside netty and got stuck to the seat my Uncle Bill had varnished while she was out - it hadn't dried.  He went on holiday for a week after that.  And then there was the priest she whacked with her brolly when he tried to accuse my Mum of not being married because she hadn't 'converted'.  The list goes on and on so I'm not going to look back into the past to 1921 for a while yet........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Yeah some of the translations are a bit iffy I hear but they are giving refunds, Covid restrictions and the rush to get it done.

Some of it is quite faded I thought.

Edited by RATTY

Oh, my son does too, he's not colour blind in the normal sense but can't distinguish shades of any colour, he wanted all his childhood to be a fighter pilot. (Don't ever tell your child they can be whatever they want if they only work hard enough.)

• Like (+1) 1