Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Looking well, caught the sun

The sun never seemed to penetrate the permanent smoke pall that covered old industrial St Helens until the late 1950s. If you "escaped" and went off on a day out to Blackpool or Southport and returned with painful sunburn and reddened skin, the neighbours and family used to comment that you caught the sun and looked well

Think you're right Alan - the pollution overhead provided you with at least a sun protection factor of 50.

Posted (edited)

Sun-tans were confined to the roadworks labourers and farm-workers The rest of us could sit in the park all day and the only change in skin colour was from the soot from Pilks and UGB chimneys

Edited by Alan

Spent a lot of time swimming and sun bathing at Carr Mill, never had any trouble with sun burn. I learnt what it was with "Pam" Morley and Dan Rodden on school holiday to South of France. Several of us spent days in calamine lotion.

Hmm! We spent every weekend on Formby and Freshfield but the first time I was ever burnt was age 21 in Tenerife, within 2 hours of being there, boy did I burn, my shoulders were two huge blisters, nobody even warned me.