St Helens Connect
Big_Jeff_Leo

Help please - Sgt Ernest Tucker Grave location?

Is anyone able to help track down the burial for this man: http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-3621-Ernest_Tucker.html

A case has been put forward with the In From the Cold Project but haven't so far been able to track down his grave. He doesn't seem to be at St Helens Cemetery or at Christ Church Eccleston.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Posted (edited)

I'm checking my files. I know the death is registered Prescot  but have you considered that if he died of TB he may have been buried at a  sanatorium or even cremated there and scattered elsewhere? It would probably say so on the death cert

The nearest crematorium then was at Liverpool I believe.

added 4 minutes later

There was an isolation hospital in Widnes so he could be in Widnes cemetery

added 54 minutes later

Nope searched all I have and Widnes cemetery, all blank

His wife remarried to William Walker in 1923 and lives at 151 Knowsley Road in 1939  seems to have had a son called Robert H in 1925. She's still not buried at the crem, or Christchurch

Household MembersAge

William Walker49

Edith A Walker53

Robert H Walker14

Mary Walker12

This record is officially closed.

This record is officially closed.

Edith Annie Tucker29

Sarah L Tucker25

Doris Tucker20

William Tucker24

Edited by RATTY

Posted (edited)

Hi Ratty, the death cert for Ernest Tucker says that he died where he lived at 10 Moxon Street with his wife present.

Could St Thomas Eccleston be a possibility? Lancashire Archives appear to have burial records up to 1960. I gather that the churchyard no longer exists but from what I can tell it was roughly where Stevenson Avenue is now (detached from the church).

Edited by PaulC

The graveyard is still there, It is next to St.Teresa's Church on Hewitt Avenue, you can walk through it to Marsden Avenue.  Not many headstones left though.

Posted (edited)

I've checked my data and  also on on LANOPC but burials at  St Thomas are only up to 1903. I've since checked and there are transcripts for burials up to 1960 which are held by the St Helens Townships and Family History Society, perhaps if you contact them they could help, they also meet at Eccleston Library on Tuesdays from 3.30 (although that may be old information.)

http://www.sthelenstownshipsfhs.org.uk/

Edited by RATTY

There is a family tree on ancestry - the Shepherd family - of which Ernest is listed as a member of that family.  I have left a message asking for help re burial details if known and also referred them to this post on here.

St.Helens Townships Family History Society have confirmed the following:-

Ernest Tucker was buried at St Thomas, Eccleston (Hewitt Ave site) 03/9/1921

• Like (+1) 2

For the record, there were fifteen war graves at St Thomas: thirteen from WW1 and two from WW2. All are now commemorated on the screen wall at Manchester Southern Cemetery.

The headstone for 2nd Corporal Richard Price 6910 Royal Engineers is still at Eccleston.

This may not be of any use to you but two old ladies lived at 75 Exeter St. up to the early 70,s  .Their names I believe were Elsie and Doris Shepherd.