Andy G'man

Does anyone remember Harts Store, Church St?

Was talking with my Mum last week and she mentioned she worked at Harts Store on Church St, St Helens. Have tried to find photo's of it but been unable to find any. Does anyone know which shop along Church St used to be Harts Store? Or even better, does anyone have ANY photos they could share with me so I can show my Mum?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

• Like (+1) 1

I remember it just, I loved going there, it had a brilliant haberdashery, used to go for school supplies for sewing lessons. I've never come across a decent  photo, only of the entrance in the corner of a picture of the street. 

added 2 minutes later

Oh here you go, the Archives Library has some

http://calmview.sthelens.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx?s=hart's

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry, how do I view them? Clicked the link but it won't show me a picture (just info). If I use the advanced search and choose images & hart's it says nothing found :(

Posted (edited)

Harts was an old favourite store. We'd buy fabric to make skirts/dresses there and anything else needed for sewing. It had a wooden floor which creaked alarmingly as you walked on it and had a back entrance which we used to get to the bus stops faster at the town hall. I'm sure the back of the shop was up a couple of stairs and on a different level to the main floor. 

I'd guess it was where McDonalds stands today

Edited by kizzy
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember it well, in particular as a toddler getting seperated from my mum in there, probably about 1944. I can recall being lost in a maze of grown-ups' legs and ankles with the matt black creaky floor beneath

• Like (+1) 1

@Andy G'man

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Building · 35 Church St

Its the art deco building that is or was New Look

added 4 minutes later

From what I remember when you walked to the back of the store you turned left and went up steps, crossed the floor and then out at the back door and as @kizzy says it was a great short cut to the buses especially on a wet day. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Tony - I was close then :) 

• Like (+1) 1

My memory of Harts in the early 50's is a dodgy floor and American comics- they were the only place in St H to have them I think.

• Like (+1) 2

kizzy, do you remember the back bit being piled high with with lampshades of all sizes, shapes, and colours?

No my memory is sketchy, just remember the haberdashery, the creaky floor and all the older people shopping there

• Like (+1) 1

It did have a peculisr smell,poss from the haberdashery stuff.

Correct me if wrong.I remember reading a post when it was being changed that an entrance was found to an underground bunker that still had papers in it etc.Any 8nfo Andy?from your family.

Just jogged my memory about the strange smell - it reminded me of something old and musty I used to think it was the wooden floor affected by damp or something

Posted (edited)

I remember Harts very well, when I was little - about 8 or 9? I used to go on the bus, on my own into town nearly every Saturday, go into Harts and buy material and bits & pieces for my Dolls and Dolls House, later I used to get patterns and materials for my Mum and she would make me & my Sister clothes, I tried too, but I was never very good at dressmaking. :dunno:

I hope no one is squeamish, but here's a true sad story, one time on one of my trips, I got near to Harts and the whole of Church St. was covered in all this thick red stuff, police and ambulances were everywhere, I went into Harts and heard people saying a young boy had been knocked off his bike by a big yellow digger and the red stuff I saw was blood! There's more to the story, but as I said it's not for the squeamish. :shocked:

Here's a photo I found where you can see Harts on the far right.

churchst.jpg

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Andy G'man said:

how do I view them?

You have to go there and request them by the ref number

added 0 minutes later

Yeah its New Look now. But it wasnt new look after they did it up, was in TJ Hughes or M&S?

That's the image I was talking about Phyll, about the only angle you ever get it. If I remember correctly  it had a semi basement where the haberdashery was, sort of a sloped bouncy floor.

Edited by RATTY
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alan said:

I remember it well, in particular as a toddler getting seperated from my mum in there, probably about 1944.

Snap! The same with me in about 1961. And the same memories as Kizzy about the wooden floor.

Thanks for all the posts and for the picture. I managed to find a couple on the St Helen's Archive page - searched for 'Church St' didn't mention Hart's specifically in the descriptions but was visible in a corner ;) It's been a few shops since - when they knocked down the shops opposite (1972 ish) to build Church Square shopping centre. It was Lewis's and then I think in the 80s was Dembows. Gonna show Mum the photo's today :)

• Like (+1) 2

Bembows, I remember a shop called Bembows

Posted (edited)

I just found another view of Harts, hope it works. :thumb:

Interesting to see this view of Church St. after all these years, just as I remember it on my many trips there on Saturdays.

a8408d25456441c023556dc7617c0242.jpg

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1