Lusitania

HORT

RMS Lusitania was a British ocean liner that was sunk on 7 May 1915 by a German U-boat 11 miles off the southern coast of Ireland, killing 1,198 passengers and crew. In addition, 767 survived.
There is a memorial to one of those who died, on a gravestone in Windleshaw Chantry. This is shown below. I wondered if anyone knows if any other St Helens people were on board and if they perished or survived?

h ocean liner that was sunk on 7 May 1915 by a German U-boat 11 miles off the southern coast of Ireland, killing 1,198 passengers and crew. In addition, 767 survived.

There is a memorial to one of those who died, on a gravestone in Windleshaw Chantry. This is shown below. I wondered if anyone knows if any other St Helens people were on board and if they perished or survived?

amLXgcU.jpg
  • Sad 1

He has a very interesting story, Imagine travelling all that way to help rebuilt San Francisco after the earth quake and then when he eventually came back ended up booking passage on the Lusitania.

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

My mums uncle was on the lusitania when it was Torpedoed , John brennan , He was a crew worker on it (trimmer). He was approached by a television company to take part in a documentary many many  years ago to recall the events of the tradgedy. Unfortunately he was very old and suffering from the effects of old age 

124336577_10222643155843156_668166093032

added 0 minutes later

123651754_10222643155483147_919491348388

• Like (+1) 4

If you are interested in the Lusitania then Kirkdale Cemetery in liverpool  would be a good place to visit.

A number of the crew who's bodies were recovered are located there.

Here is one that I took when I visited.

The Grave of Chief Officer John T Piper - S S Lusitania

He was married to Marion Piper (nee Quinn) they lived at: 63, Hatherley Street, Dingle, Liverpool.

Chief Officer on the Lusitania a ship sunk by German Submarine U-20 off the South Coast of Ireland 7th May 1915. His body was recovered from the sea twelve days later, however, on the evening of Wednesday 19th May 1915, at Firkall, in County Kerry about 80 miles from where the liner had foundered.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1