Alan

St Helens area peat bogs

Posted (edited)

Just been watching a fascinating short feature on BBC about the restoration of an area in Northumberland known as the Border Mires. Basically scores of acres of woodland are being cut down to enable the restoration of ancient peat beds, which are apparently far better at carbon storage than trees..

The programme brought to mind the numerous peat bogs in and around St Helens of my youth. Rainford, Sutton, Kings and Holliday Moss immediately came to mind. There were many others too.

Question. Do they still exist? If so, are they protected?

Edited by Alan
  • Like (+1) 1

Pete's bog I remember was made of wood with 2 holes side by side and a metal chain.

Posted (edited)
WWW.SUTTONBEAUTY.ORG.UK

Colliers Moss features 130 hectares of developing and developed habitats, which includes wetlands, woodland, grassland and heathland and has been...

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1

I used to live at Bold across the field from the pit and Bold Moss until the mid 90s. My kids played over there in the summer, it was a lovely place for them to grow up. Nice memories

• Like (+1) 1

In the 1950s we used to cycle out to Holliday Moss through Rainford to indulge in a boyhood passion of birdwatching. It was a magical place, full of all kinds of wildlife and coppices of birch trees and ponds full of newts and frogs etc. Does it still exist?

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Phyll. It seems to have shrunk to the size of three or four football piches

• Like (+1) 1