Robbob2010

Chalon Way Car park demolition

Oh, yes. Lots of fine wood. They didn't use melamine in them days!  And old Wesley was a great one for the Bible. Not as many reading it now though, but our Ada always does.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is another that might bite the dust.

TZOTtJA.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Topgrounder said:

I remember the great days of Jimmy Hand

I remember Jimmy Hand too, my Mum knew him very well, so much so that she told me one time he was passing by her in his Mayoral Carriage and gave her a ride! She accepted and gave everyone a wave. :wave:

15 hours ago, Topgrounder said:

I thought I'd seen it all when they vaporized the Methodist Temple opposite the Gamble.

Yes that was a shame, I remember passing by it every day when I used to work at the Prov.

Was it this one you meant?

By the way Topgrounder,  :welcome:  to St. Helens Connect, I enjoy your posts, they are a breath of fresh air on here. :yes:

Edited by Phyll

That was the very Methodist shrine I was talking about. Also, thanks, Phyll,  for your kind comment. I'm very happy you've allowed me into the group.

added 4 minutes later

Jimmy Hand was a lovely fellow. He always signed my passport applications for me up at his house in Downs Road.  My family was Labour and Jimmy was a Conservative, but we all respected him a lot. He'd worked his way up. He never forgot where he came from and he was unfailingly kind and generous - a true servant of the people. We need more like Jimmy in office today.

By the way, your story about your mum's regal wave from the mayor's car really tickled me! 😄Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

Why is it being demolished?