Robbob2010

Chalon Way Car park demolition

Taken yesterday leaning camera over a 7ft fence...

51006724682_b298cd34b7_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51006724982_df30bb53c8_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51005913613_fe4bc39e94_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51005913773_36363665dd_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51006725652_8e0531e64d_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51006617941_aed376f072_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51006725912_3e639bbb19_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

51006726057_9f0f79638f_c.jpgChalon Way Car park demolition by Robbob2010, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 3

That was an ugly building even when new - glad to see the back of it whatever they do with the site. Hated using the carpark too it was a miserable concrete soulless place

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder where all the cars that used to be parked on there are parked now? Well, not where they're literally parked right now, but when people drive their cars into town and they used to park there. Are all the other car parks full? Are there less cars - the owners having succumbed to Covid? Was there ever really any need for that multi-story one in the first place? Hmmmm...

added 10 minutes later

And what're they doing with machines like that one anyway? Surely they could have remotely flown a decommissioned Boeing 767 aircraft into it and it'd've been job done. Atomised. Well, they could have flown one into another nearby building that was due for demolition and it would have just fallen at gravity speed and disintegrated into its own footprint.

• Like (+1) 1

Knowing the car drivers ,they will park on the undeveloped "bomb site" for a few years ,until the council decide what to do with it.Then once the council see the cars we will no doubt see a workmans hut,price board and attendant charging 50p,or more per hour.

• Like (+1) 1

A Boeing 767?. With such a harvest of aviation grade aluminium ,there would be blockages of Transit pickups from the Linkway all the way to the M62.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 05/03/2021 at 19:41, Robbob2010 said:

Taken yesterday leaning camera over a 7ft fence...

:ohyeah:

• Haha (+1) 1

Work stopped on Sunday.

1QhbIZA.jpg

CnesGHa.jpg

Yomxi2n.jpg

When did they start?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I couldn't say but was told they made a balls up in the rear of carpark.

You can see it buckled on

Pic 2 and last.

Edited by Robbob2010

They perhaps know best but surely there is a better way to take it down than like that?

The guy who i was speaking to said the wrecking ball was finished 2 years ago.

Would have loved to have a go at that 🙈

• Haha (+1) 1

Do you remember the demolition ball when they demolished the old shaw st station. No one was stopped standing on the bridge at side of station.Esp if you stood on corpy bridge near the steps that went down to station nearby!!!!

Here is the other side of it, taken from Canal on Sunday. They have not got that far yet.

8aikbIo.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

I've some from yesterday and pooping town after .

Will post tonight 

Got some more today but im out at the moment so not on my laptop.

I downloaded an app and merged these together,not happy with it but ney mind.

Got to get these out as times running out with the carpark.

I will post pictures tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Could this fine building not have been listed?  Yet more of our heritage gone to rack-o-ruin. Was it not enough to bulldoze Windle Hall and Eccleston Hall?

Edited by Topgrounder
punctuation
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 1

I'd rather that they saved the market hall that predated that monstrosity

• Like (+1) 1

This one must be thinking:

"I wonder if I will be next for the chop.?"

WHKdlxv.jpg

Eeh, it's a sad thing to see. I thought I'd seen it all when they vaporized the Methodist Temple opposite the Gamble. Happily, nobody was worshipping at the time.

Generations of Sintelliners have memories of this car park.  I once had to pay for the whole day after losing my ticket.  Our Ada parked there just after the birth of her first great-grandchild and it was said you could see the town hall clock from the top of it. 

I'm not going to slam the council here, out of respect, since I remember the great days of Jimmy Hand OBE, Mayor Tom Forshaw (Hizzoner!)  and the late, great Alderman Hignett - memories of these giants if you like - but I will say that Wigan and Widnes haven't vandalized their old, beloved car parks and folks go to these neighbouring cities now to use them. If they'd refurbished it, they could have got another 50 years out of it and it would have strengthened community links - so hard to rebuild once they've gone.

Folks realize that half-timbered Elizabethan places like Newton Hall had to go.  And Bold Hall had it coming too. But is conserving the late great Chalon Way car park too much to ask? The Float Inn in Liverpool Road is already just a memory. 

Ragily,  Toppers!

• Like (+1) 1

The Methodist temple had loadsa pitch pine!!massive fire risk.Ive read a bible reading from the pulpit when i was a kid.