woodsman

Ancestry messages

Reckon it would be a good idea if Ancestry was to introduce some system which would allow you to see how many messages an individual replied to. At least you would then be able to judge if it is worth contacting them.l

• Like (+1) 2

I must admit Woodsman, I do not reply to all of mine :bangin:

Agreed, I have sent many messages to people with whom Ancestry inform me I have a direct connection. I rarely receive a reply and wonder why people bother in joining Ancestry unless they are prepared to participate.   Tony Beaman

• Like (+1) 1

I think in future I shall take the line of not sending any messages as it does seem to be a pointless exerciese and if anyone wishes to contact me, fair enough, I shall reply.

• Like (+1) 2

On 18/02/2021 at 12:07, Callander said:

onder why people bother in joining Ancestry unless they are prepared to participate.   

Quite a lot of people have locked trees and data. ...........They like to keep it private.

Just received a query from a person on Ancestry asking about my Grandparents. It turns out that she is the granddaughter of my cousin who emigrated to the USA just after WW2.

• Like (+1) 4

I understand that some Ancestry members wish to remain anonymous, but isn't this defeating the object of being in Ancestry?

My tree is marked as private, but it does not stop people asking for information. Also, you can open the tree to the people you would like to see it.

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I must be a bit naive as I have no objection to anyone looking at my tree on Ancestry.

Think there are situations where persons feel the need to keep it private, parentage questions, adoptees, abuse etc. I think all would agree that privacy is of real concern for some.

"Think there are situations where persons feel the need to keep it private, parentage questions, adoptees, abuse etc. I think all would agree that privacy is of real concern for some."

There are also the 'pot of gold' hunters!

I had a contact in usa who was totally convinced I was out to scam him, really weird. I was informed by another relative later that he was an ex lawman who had took early retirement after a problem with a shooting which had gone wrong [for the person who was shot]. Glad to say the communication very soon petered out lol

You can waste time contacting people letting them know how you've figured out that you're related to them and they come back with "I'll have a look when I've got a minute." One did that to me in the middle of last year and after about six months I asked if they'd had a minute yet. The reply to that one was similarly short and uninteresting. One of the worst instances was to do with a bunch of people (and I mean quite a big bunch) of DNA matches out in Utah - like the mecca of genealogy and there was one woman who was 'managing' quite a few of those matches. It was somewhere on my dad's side but the match must come from way back. None of the trees went back very far (if they had trees at all), but I thought that she must be keen if she's managing so many kits. But she has an unlinked tree with 24 people in it and she said "I'm really not very good with the ancestry thing. I have relatives that have researched into the family tree. I'll have to start getting into it if life slows down. I live in Utah and have never been to Europe. Would love to visit someday!" I bet that she'll never get around to it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Dave   She will need a minute to decide whether to come.

This was one of my messages after contacting a DNA match who was about a third cousin and possibly could have given me clues as to my gt gt grandfather who disappeared.

sorry it's all lost on me,as understand very little of it all.. cheers Steve

Another DNA match didn't recognise any names from my tree therewore we couldn't be connected at all he said.

I do have my tree private but will share with anyone who asks, I just got fed up of family photos being copied and added to totally incorrect people.

My tree is open. I figure if I'm hoping to find family then there's no point in hiding anything? It's hard enough finding reliable  connections without handicapping myself 

• Like (+1) 1

You wonder why people take up membership of Ancestry and not prepared to be involved.

I am finding more and more of my DNA matches do not have a tree at all.

I've seen all sorts of reasons posted by the defenders of the private trees. One of them is that they don't like people 'stealing' their information or pictures. "Go and do your own research", they cry - while nicking any information and pictures that they want from the public trees.

added 8 minutes later

@Tony J I'd only read your post after ^ that'd gone on. It is true that there are quite a few people who just copy and it is annoying. That's why I advocate some kind of rating/reputation system for trees.

There are some shocking trees on there - if they have dates then they have no places, or the other way around, or neither. No sources or anything. A bane.

added 19 minutes later

I started writing this a while ago, meaning to expand on it.

Rules for armchair genealogy

Things you should and shouldn't do if you have a public tree on one of the genealogy sites.

Always use the maiden name of a female ancestor or relative. If you don't have their maiden name then just use the first name(s) until you find out what it was.

Always use the location fields - particularly for birth and death. Other locations will follow, like marriage(s) and census years, etc.

Gather as much information as you can, adding as many sources as are available (so long as they're correct). Never copy entries with no sources. If you need to copy, gather the sources and check them to make sure that whoever you're copying isn't just making it up. It might be that they've copied from someone else who had made it all up.

Don't take hints for granted and when you find quite a few trees with the same information do not assume that it is correct. Thoroughly investigate any sources attached to the people in such trees.

Think up things to add.

• Like (+1) 1

@Dave Some people just seem to be name collectors and add to their trees willy nilly. i try and keep it simple and relevant and when i get a DNA connection try and add their line so I can see how they are connected, but without all the distant relatives.

I also have photos in private albums on Facebook which I share with any relatives I find and in this way have managed to name quite a few people on photos which came from my gt grandmother's house. A lot I will never be able to name as anyone who knew is now dead. Just wish my aunt had shared the photos with me before she died and told me a few names.

Never assume you can't have a relative of another colour, race or creed. I've had some strange experiences with people who've said things like, all our family are white/black/christian/muslim etc; sometimes I've had to tell them otherwise

• Like (+1) 2

I undertook a DNA test through Ancestry and discovered I am more 'Celtic' than Anglo SAxon. 20% Scots, 20% Welsh, 10% IRISH , 5% Scandinavian. A good job my team up here is Glasgow Celtic.

• Like (+1) 1

The percentages are always being redefined - and the estimates of the different companies can differ wildly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dave said:

I've seen all sorts of reasons posted by the defenders of the private trees. One of them is that they don't like people 'stealing' their information or pictures. "Go and do your own research", they cry - while nicking any information and pictures that they want from the public trees.

This is the main reason I suspect.

To be honest I have a lot of stuff on my tree, like grave headstones which I am happy to share. Equally I have "taken" stuff from others.......that is the Beauty of it really as people have photographs of the person that no one else might actually have.