Billychris

Sherdley Park Bridge

My wife and I , as part of our lockdown daily walkabout , often cut through Sherdley Park and cross the bridge over the linkway. What year was it built ?Before the linkway and bridge were built was there a small bridge already  there over a minor road ? .. or no bridge and a straight route through to Sherdley Road  ? Must be old age but I can't remember what was there :) Have googled various searches but nothing appears apart from images of present bridge .

Its a good question and worthy of more research ...I believe that the Linkway itself opened in 1993.

I think it was just a footpath from The Score that came out on Sutton Road probably not much different from todays route.

Walked through many times ( my in-laws lived in Sherdley Road).

Can remember passing the golf club then the farm house/barn ( now converted to a couple of houses or flats ) then straight on and past lodge on corner into Sherdley Road .... it's the bit between barn and lodge I can't remember ... and it's only 30 years ago ... senility :)

Perhaps the bit between barn and lodge was rerouted to accomodate the excavation / embankment for the linkway

When they put the bridge in it meant that you could drive a car from Sherdley Road, across the bridge, around the Golf Club, past the car park and directly onto Elton Head Road and vice versa.

I don't know if this helps but it says on here that the photo on the right is the Score entrance.  :dunno:

WWW.SUTTONBEAUTY.ORG.UK

Part 18 of memories and recollections of the history of Sutton in St.Helens with articles Living at Sutton Hall Cottage by Eileen Spencer (including the...

sutton_hall_cottage02.jpg

Edited by Phyll

Thanks Phyll. Apparently that is the entrance from Elton Head Road .

Edited by Billychris
  • Like (+1) 1