Phyll

Mansion House Up For Sale!

Just read this.

WWW.STHELENSSTAR.CO.UK

ONE of St Helens' most iconic and historic buildings is being put up for sale.

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1

Shocked by it Phyll..my friend runs it,Mark

Noticed it on facebook, people blaming the council which in a way I go along with because they bought it and sold it cheap, but all in all it doesn't really matter because it no longer belongs to the town whoever owns it, along with a lot of other good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

The council had no right to sell it in the first place. The terms of sale when the Council first bought Victoria Park were that it was for use by the public in perpetuity.

When they sold it to Age Concern I emailed the Council legal Dept and reminded them. They did not answer.

• Like (+1) 2

Similarly HORT.I would refer you to a situation arose regards the Parish Church fields on Rainford road.This was  involving covenant and  defined community use.Even with all this ,it eventually was sold for HOUSING.Money talks.

• Like (+1) 1

But did the Church Fields covenant say it that was for perpetuity?

yes it did.It was clearly covenanted as such.I did read about it cos ive visited those fields when a child has did my wife.I dont know the exact details.Others msy know much more.

Well when the Council put the Mansion House up for sale, I emailed the Council legal department and asked if they knew about the covenant that was for perpetuity.

I got a reply very quickly that just said that my email had been receeved and was being dealt with and they would reply.

No reply ever came.

When did the building become commonly known as The Mansion House? It was always known as Victoria (Vicky) Park Museum when I lived in St Helens

When it was Vicky Park Museum do you remember the Bengal Tiger?

Yes, the tiger was kept in storage for years until it fell apart and was used to patch up other animals in museums. Most kids seem to remember that tiger - I remember it clearly from my childhood

• Like (+1) 2

I remember the tiger. It was the first thing I went to see; to check it hadn't escaped.

Mid mersey section of Age Uk took over.They spent funds on an Orangery that wasnt in full use.The use of the Bistro was restricted because people on the small meeetings for disability that were supposed go use the Orangefy didn't and filled the Bistro.This forced the closure of the Bistro because people who went for food when in the park found delays etc etc. Yep it needed helpers and they did have events and receptions.There were meeting rooms etc.and they did close the offices in Barrow st.But at thevend of the day it was a mixh match of tbings(thats my opinion only!)

Alan asks a good question about when did it became known as the Mansion House. I do not know does anyone?

I always knew it as the Victoria Park Museum, I loved going there and I remember the Tiger too. :thumb:

Here's some history that says it was named Cowley House, but it doesn't exactly say when it's name was changed to The Mansion House? :dunno:

'Mansion House' is probably a relatively recent title. I don't remember anyone calling it that when I was a kid. It was just 'that big house in Viccy Park', or 'the museum'.  Built by (I should say for) John Ansdell who was a solicitor - a mega rich one, in about 1850. When he was getting on, and age 77 in 1881, he was living there with his wife Anne and two daughters, Betsy Anne and Jessie. By then he was the Registrar of the County Court.  He died in 1885, as the article above says. His wife sold the house and grounds to the council for £11,000. I don't know where his wife went to after that, but as I was browsing around some relations on the 1911 census last night I found the 61 year old daughter Betsy Anne staying at a boarding house run by two spinster 1st cousins 3 x removed of mine in Guildford Surrey. She was a spinster too, and living on 'Private Means', the £11,000 and whatever else had been left in John's estate must've gone a long way.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I hope it's a Listed Building and has therefore some degree of protection. Viccy Park Museum, along with the surrounding park, featured large in my childhood

Edited by Alan

The family in 1861 I was just looking at some trees of the Ansdell family on Ancestry (*and the Speakmans - it would appear that the road was named after his brewer father-in-law*)  and some of them are atrocious. It needs sorting out because there might be some interesting things in there. I'll have a look later. In 1841 the family were living at Green Bank House... wherever that was... Green Bank, I suppose. Yes, Liverpool Road. In 1851 they were all in Cowley House with four live-in servants.

* His first wife wasn't a Speakman. She'd been previously married to Richard Speakman. I think her name was Ferguson. 

When I was a child, a common allegation was that one of the house's owner/occupier's had put their housemaid "in the family way".

Yes, an uncle of the former wife used to talk about that. I think it might've been somehow connected to their (Arnold, Gore or Sephton) family. Something else to check on. Actually, I might give him a fright and ring him later*.

* mobile phone switched off.

It says in this document that "The council acquired the property in January 1886 for £11,000 and placed a protective restriction on the site so that it could only ever be used as a park or recreation ground." Is there a get-out clause in which the house isn't included?

There was a  no get out clause for the parish church fields,rainford road but it still eventually got sold for houses.money talks.