RATTY

Critchley Burials

Hi,

I've found this post when doing some googling lol my husband (daystate) used to be a member here a few years back and I recognised the names on the post.

Anyhow, I'm searching for William and Martha Critchley as I believe them to be my ggg grandparents on my dad's side and I've hit a wall with william. He seems to have vanished after the 1861 census. I havnt got a subscription myself yet so my cousin in Canada has been helping me by searching for them and sending me as much as possible.

I think I've found where Martha is buried this afternoon (if I have the right Martha lol and it's a theory after finding a Web page with some more googling) but can't find any trace as yet of william (with what I have access to).

Just thought I'd pop a message on in case there's anything we can help each other with. If I have Martha and William right this is how my tree goes

William and Martha have son Samuel

Samuel marries Elizabeth Eden/Halsall and has John (plus Peter, Esther, Samuel, Daniel, William and Martha )

John marries Alice Parr and has 7 children (until 2 weeks ago, we believed the only child to survive (my grandad Arthur) was an only child but they had Samuel, Joseph, Alice, Peter, 2 more not yet known babies, and Arthur 1915, my grandad. John died 1915 (TB and heart failure) , 2 months before my grandads birth, Joseph died 1916 at 18 years old (TB) , 3 babies known so far died at 2 days, 5 weeks and Peter was 4 months. It appears my grandad never knew he was the last of 7 siblings sadly, he thought he was an only child.

Arthur married Eshter Case and had Arthur and Allan Critchley.

I am daughter of Allan.

No idea if any of you know anymore than me but thought I'd pop this on after seeing the post at the top. Weay even be cousins 😊🤣 x

added 23 minutes later

Although, having read back through the comments thouroughly, I'm wondering if I have William and Martha right now 🤦🏼‍♀️

Daystate is still a member! 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Carebear (or Mrs Daystate) :) 

Your William who was married to a Martha. I wonder if it's possible that he was my 3rd great uncle? Let's see...Yep - Samuel who married Elizabeth Eden. Your William's brother was my Henry's brother. Are you on Ancestry? Their parents were Henry Critchley (or Crouchley 1766-1836) and Betty Fairhurst (1765-1812). They lived in Newton. It goes back a bit further than that.

William Critchley (1793-1869)

Martha was Martha Pusill (1794-1834)

You have a few distant relatives on here.

added 8 minutes later

Have you got a list of the children of John Critchley and Alice Parr with dates? I only had Joseph Parr Critchley -1898-1916

Posted (edited)

Hi Dave,

So it is the same Martha and William then. As I say, with my cousin (on my mums side) helping me from Canada, we were sure on everything upto W and M.

I think Martha is buried at st Helens cemetery in a mass grave after finding this info this afternoon https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/StHelens/StHelen

as the parish records show she was buried at St Helen now St Mary which I think is the big church in the centre of town.

But, as you know there's no record of William anywhere so far.

I've also found the 2 missing babies of John and Alice tonight too (more certs to send for lol). So sad that my grandad never knew he had siblings. Also, because of that, struggle to understand how my great nan treated him the way she did in later years but I'll never get answers to that.

I havnt got ancestry at the minute but I'm hoping to at some point as I'd love to do all the branches. I started with my dad's line as, as I said, my dad has believed for 77 years that his dad was an only child and we now know he was from it, they just didn't make it x

Edited by Carebear
Spellings

Definitely the same Martha and William. I've nearly worked down to you in my tree now - 5th cousin. Is your mum's name Rita?

We were only talking about this a few months ago. After Betty Fairhurst died, William and Henry's dad Henry married Martha's elder sister Mary. :) 

Thats just totally confused me 😂

Yep my mum was Rita Critchley née Tilley, I lost mum in July 2008.

Give me 5 mins, I'll type up the baby info, I've got all dates, names and graves. Do you just need dates and names?

It was cousin, she noticed on the 1911 census that has Joseph on that it said 6 children born and 1 alive so she went searching and we found them. I've got death certs for the 1st baby Samuel and Joseph so far, 2nd babies is on order now.

X

added 1 minute later

So Henry married his daughter in laws sister?

I've sent you a PM (with Daystate).

Yes, he did marry his daughter-in-law's sister... but he married her in 1816 before William married Martha in 1818. That possibly led to William meeting Martha.

Before he married Betty Fairhurst he had a son called John with Betty Burrows and had a bastardy order slapped on him.

@RATTY and @slmgc - to thread. They're a bit closer to you than I am.

• Like (+1) 1

John and Alice  married 1896 Sept (have original cert)

Samuel Critchley born 26th Nov, 1896 (🙄🤔🤣), premature birth died 2 days old

Joseph Parr Critchley 1898 - 1916 (died of TB, have cert)

Alice Critchley 1899. Based on grave info, died 5 weeks old.

Peter Critchley 1901 again based on grave details it states 0 months (he's the next cert to get)

Alice Critchley 1903 details say 12 days old

John Critchley 1907. Details say 0 months but when I found him earlier it said he was born in 06 so will confirm once have cert

And finally Arthur John Critchley 1915 -1987

X

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Carebare,  I am connected through William Critchley and Martha Pusill's daughter Martha born 1828 Sutton (sister of your Samuel)  who married Cuthbert Forster Henderson born 1827 Warrington, His family came from Sunderland. They had a daughter Margaret Henderson born 1858 Windle who married Thomas Dumbill born 1859 Windle. Their daughter Margaret Dumbill born 1886 St Helens married Robert Arnold 1884 St Helens and they had my grandfather, my dads dad, Walter Arnold born 1915.

The burials at St Helens Parish church were cleared  to a mass grave in St Helens municipal crematorium  which are supposed to be included in the records here 

CREM.OLTPS.STHELENS.GOV.UK

William's wife was  buried from  Parish church, but is not in those records, they lived at Taylors Row, Moss Nook then, (the outer edge of Parr) but perhaps the grave is elsewhere perhaps with her birth family.

I think  that William must have moved to his sons house in Ravenhead  after her death and was buried from Whiston Workouse which was an Infirmary for the elderly then. I wanted to search  Ravenhead St Johns burial records to make sure he wasn't there but I am unable to search the Archives due to Covid restrictions.

I will send for that Whiston death cert one day soon when I have some spare cash if I don't find a burial.

If children died under 1 year of age they are always entered as age 0 on the GRO, sometimes incorrectly, so are children under 18 in my experience.

Edited by RATTY
  • Like (+1) 1