Sign in to follow this  
singe

St Helens Town

I see St Helens Town got out of jail this morning. Bottom of the league, getting thrashed week in, week out, including an 0-8 home defeat recently and now the season has been cancelled and all records expunged from the records with no promotion or relegation. Couldn't see any way out of it for them  - and then along came a virus.

it grieves me to see the demise of our local club, all thanks to them being conned out of the houghton road money in the ill fated move to knowsley road

It is a shame how much they have gone down.

At Hoghton Road, I must have watched them a couple of hundred times back in the day. The highlight was the Wembley tip for the VA Vase Final in 1987.

I have got the Wembley programme price 60p,manager Alan Wellens.Tommy O,Neil played for Man United.

Who did they play in the Semi-Final?

Posted (edited)

Emley in the semi.

Final below;

Edited by singe
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, singe said:

Emley in the semi.

That's correct from Huddersfield.........A bunch of tall lads who towered over our players, I always remember. This is the away programme which I have. (Plus the home one of course)

EMLEY-V-ST-HELENS-FA-CUP-VASE-SEMI-FINAL-1987-VGC-HUDDERSFIELD-ENGLAND-WAKEFIELD

• Like (+1) 1

Well done BJL, good find. IIRC, both sides won on their opponents ground with St Helens winning the second leg 2-0 AET. Didn't they miss a penalty in the last minute of extra time?

My memory of Hoghton Road dates back to the early 1990s when Runcorn RLFC, descendent of Liverpool City, played there before moving to Prescot Cables' ground and then going bust. If I remember correctly, the high point of their season in Sutton was when they held us (Carlisle) to a 12 - 12 draw there

prescot panthers didn't go bust alan they were one of the five clubs who lindsey said gave nothing to the game, they were asked to resign from the league even though they werent in debt and owned hope street 

Yes, I stand corrected HJ

to be honest if it wasnt for john mckiernan town would have folded long ago, i have never met a more enthusiastic man as regards a sports team