Can anyone tell me at what age would a person have to be to appear on 1939 census. I found my parents and 2 siblings at an address but 3 other siblings are not on it

They may be redacted as they are possibly still alive

• Like (+1) 1

But they are not still alive

OK - when the 1939 register was eventually published it was decided that those people who may well be alive at that time would be redacted. Must admit that 'rule' was not strictly adhered to. If you can click on to see the image then you ought to be able to see how many people in the household were redacted

Presumed alive. They (the NHS, who inherited the list after the war) used to keep the list up to date as deaths occurred, but since it became redundant in terms of its original purposes, the services now in charge of the lists (FMP, Ancestry, MH) usually only un-redact people who would obviously be over 100 years of age. FMP used to un-redact people if proof could be provided - e.g. if somebody keen enough sent them a death certificate. They don't want to be sued for publishing information about living people.

It is a bit hit and miss though, because I've seen quite a few living people on it.

• Like (+1) 2

I have a feeling it depends on which site you go on. I have two copies of one family, one of which there are redacted people, the other version shows them. I have no idea why this is.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering why someone I know wasn't on it, but it was probably because she was alive, sadly she died just recently.

I have found dead relatives not on it but also someone who I definitely know is living is on it. Did a bit of research and someone with exactly the same name as my living relative and same age is buried up Dentons Green so must have been a mix up.

21 hours ago, RATTY said:

I have two copies of one family, one of which there are redacted people, the other version shows them.

Perhaps one site has updated corrections but not the other?

• Like (+1) 1