Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

Were these colliery entrance columns?

Near to the Sainsbury Depot in Haydock near the ELR there are 2 stone columns atopped by stone balls.

I only recently noticed them cos of the shrubbery. I know of the railway lines that ran under the ELR and the various colliery lines I dont have a picture,sorry.Is there any further info as the gap between them is narrow so could be an entrance to a residence in the past?.

could you be more specific in their location?

Was That "Old Boston " went down there as a kid (school trip ) !

If it's the ones adjacent to the roundabout on Millfield lane, near the entrance to Sainsburys, I think they are part of the bridge abutments where the St Helens branch of the GCR passed under Millfield lane in a cutting. They were visible on Millfield lane before the lane was realigned when all the development work was done.

Edited by FRANK

As you come from ashtons cross lights come to the roundabout nr sainsburys big storage.As you start to go on the roundabout look to the left bafore kilbuck lane in the shrubbery there are 2 sandstone pillars.

It could have lead to old boston but not certain.Just wondered why they were left undisturbed esp with all the work  done around there.