non sibi sed omnibus

Bird Ith hand up for sale Others refurbed.

Noting its up for sale.People we know used to say it got packed.Food differed with different ones who ran it.

As an aside the Woodlands was closed and tried to be all things.Now its reopened supposedly as a " community"  pub.

Griffin been refurbed.The Royal Alfred reopened.Abbey,Gerrard alongside others.

Windle open.

Is there a simple answer to all this "refurb".Will it drag in the suppers?

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently this company took over and whoever ran it, it went to the dogs, lots of complaints about it. Aside from that it used to get all the Saints pre and post match custom, now that's gone. There's some sort of movement to get it listed as a community asset lest it be turned into another wad of flats, it would be awful sad to lose it, lots of family events held in there, weddings birthdays, my lovely Grandads funeral wake was one.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember that Pub very well, I used to live near there at one time, in fact my Sister had friends who owned it back in the day.

I didn't understand this though in SHS,

"However, the pub remains open and there are no plans for it to shut down."

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/18260816.bird-ith-hand-pub-building-placed-market/

Here's the other info. about The Woodlands, another pub that I used to go in years ago.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/18258113.woodlands-pub-haresfinch-reopens-refurbishment/

I was in the Bird last Friday,  - unfortunately, it was following the funeral of my sister.

• Sad 2

Had my first date with husband to be in the Bird, August '69. I remember it as a thriving pub. My friend and colleague from the Gamble was in her brother's Irish band. They met in one of the back rooms at the Bird once a week. I think that is how I first became interested in folk music, which eventually developed into a liking of folk rock.  We used to have great sing -a -longs. One of my favourites was 'Whiskey in the Jar.'  Sad to see the pub up for sale.

• Like (+1) 1

The back where star off was and many years ago school,dentist had a little training business now.The front is just a tip for cans etc.