Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

duke st demise

Now that ena shaws is gone.Inwonder how many can remember the days of the little shops that were in it.

bartons,warings,butchers,millinery,shirts,grocers,etc etc.How boring it is now.bars that only open late, eateries   or takeaways etc etc.   

Ben Brooks sports shop. More than 50 years later, I still have a cricket bat from there. Not been used for a while. And the florist shop - may have been Barkers?

Ernie Buckley's

Groves the barber

On 12/02/2020 at 22:31, non sibi sed omnibus said:

bartons

My mum's best china was bought from Bartons at a few shillings a week from a mug club. @non sibi sed omnibus, you have missed Spencers lighting off, was a brilliant shop, when I moved to Wirral in 1986 bought lights from them for my new place, was a better selection than I could find anywhere else in those days.

Tony.ooooops.yep we used them.but weve got a small shop in pemberton good service.You go in if not in,order then rings,then collect.

• Like (+1) 1

At the bottom of Duke Street we had Chocolate Box sweet shop. Opposite that we had Mrs McCully's sweet shopand Bowley's cake shop. About half way up on the left oposite groves Barber shop was Whittle's pies and cooked meat shop

Also a posh ladies shop opposite side to Barton’s.

Also a ladies clothes shop called Barkers near the Linghome

When i worked in the water dept.I looked at the disparity between water charges for businesses like pilks and the millions of LOCK UP SHOPS and residents.There was a political balance carried out.I also changed the periodic method for every lock up to an annual charge and monthly for pilks etc.Saving all the bits of psper etc.

I wonder how i would decide these days?   

My first hair cut as a teenager was at a shop named Lockharts in Duke St. must have around 1960

On 13/02/2020 at 00:08, mr tenpercent said:

Ben Brooks sports shop

We used to buy 1/8" diameter rubber strips that were used to power model aircraft from there. Made great catapults

Edited by Alan

Don't forget th'Ocky flea-pit

Eric Gilvary butchers  

just remembered nevins  on the corner of duke st and Talbot st .  also burrows the  butchers 

On 17/02/2020 at 11:31, kizzy said:

Lockharts in Duke St.

@kizzy That has reminded me of a story my grandad used to tell. my aunt was my godmother and decided to dye her hair for the christening. Unfortunately it turned out purple and my grandad paid for her to get it redone at Lockharts

• Like (+1) 1