Sign in to follow this  
SaintJeff

Coming Soon to "The Bonk"

The bonk is the wasteland that runs between Sutton Road and the Fleet Lane end of Parr. After big plans for it in the 90's that went nowhere, it's finally been levelled off and treated for contamination. Building starts this year. Plans for up to 900 houses. Where's the plans for more schools, GP's, road planning etc?

kEl

kEm

83386789_10159209675944692_2121450846196

Edited by SaintJeff
  • Like (+1) 2

They will blame that on the immigrants

kEl

not sure whats going on with the links but there should be three photos in the first post

Edited by SaintJeff

That's an old haunt for me from the 80's,with my off road motorbikes,you must remember the Banana Chute Saint Jeff.

• Like (+1) 1

I do mate, use to love watching the bikes on that. It's near enough all flattened off now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

If you type in search 'The Bonk' there is pictures on here if you haven't seen them. 

It's a big piece of land. 

Ps... Always seen glue snifers on there... I used to wheelspin my motorbike back wheel over them with gravel 😀

• Like (+1) 1

The part of the Bonk closest to Fleet Lane and up to the brook was the council tip in the early 60's for a number of years, so that will need a bit of decontamination before building work can get started.

In the early 60s when I was a nipper, the men used to gather on the other side of the brook on Sunday afternoons, gaming, which seemed to be guessing heads or tales when two coins were flipped into the air.

I remember the calls when they'd shout "heads a dollar" or "tails a dollar, which was five shillings. I believe the police regularly raided the meetings, without being spotted approaching by the lookouts, and charged some with illegal gaming.

Closer to the Sutton road section were the allotments or plots as they were called and in those days I believe the ground rents were paid to Pilkington's, who obviously owned the land then.

I spent many happy hours on the Bonk in my early years, before ROCLA moved on there and sectioned a large part of it off.

• Like (+1) 1

Found all sorts of stuff over there when they started digging and clearing the site a few years back. Old bottles and ceramics, even animal jaw bones so I must have been where the tip was.

Many years before the new tip was started in the 60's on the right hand side of the pathway, I believe that an older tip existed earlier in the century on the left hand side, on the other side of the railway. When we were young we would walk about 3 feet down the steep embankment alongside the Brook and dig in sideways to find old bottles from Victorian and Edwardian Times, the ones with the marble in the top to seal them. 

Edited by jms

That's the type of bottles i was finding over there so I must have been in that area. The'y haven't cleared that part yet so I may just go back over there again for a look.