Sign in to follow this  
Andyr00

Ancestry DNA

Curious if anyone has tried it out? Does it just add data to a family tree you already have or do they create a new one based on the results. Hope its worth it. Just posted a pack off...

If you already have a tree you can ask that details of a test be attached or you can make a new tree. I did a test years ago and found it extremely useful confirming some family research I'd already done. It was fascinating to piece together a history of the people that I was related too but had not known about. Best money I ever spent!

It depends how much you've done on your tree without DNA, but the more that you've done the more clues you'll get and it can show 'common ancestors', etc. It's definitely worth it (although it can possibly lead to some identity shattering surprises).

if your tree is on another online site you can send it by gedcom to the new site. i am on 2 site genes reunited and my heritage,and you can put it on 

myftdna free of charge which connects you to people on multiple sites

I began my family tree on Genes Reunited which I found easy to use, but it has a much smaller membership, based mainly in the UK. I also have trees on MyHeritage and Ancestry. I have had most success rate with Ancestry.One big drawback is that they do not allow the import of gedcoms from other sites.  Also they only allow one test per tree, but you can make as many trees as required.   It can sometimes be whelming with too much  information.