Robbob2010

New Fire Station for St Helens is Underway.

Unused land at Pilkington Glass's Watson St site, just off Milverny Way

Youtube won't let the link embed again,you will have to click the link unless Dave Admin knows anything.

49258872497_2635e91cf7_z.jpgNew Fire Station in St Helens is Underway by Robbob2010, on Flickr

49258882677_128ffe57cf_c.jpgNew Fire Station in St Helens is Underway by Robbob2010, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 3

What was wrong with the old one?

Anyone know?

My hubby worked in the call room at the old one on Parr Stocks Road for a short while.

He didn't last very long. It was such a busy road and the engines had difficulty entering the traffic flow in an emergency. He told the bosses that they needed traffic lights and they weren't too pleased. A short while after he had left, the powers that be installed the traffic lights and no doubt took the credit. :lol:

This photo from the 70s is how I remember it. https://www.sthelenscommunityarchive.org.uk/item/2469/St_Helens_Fire_Station_-_Parr_Stocks_Road

Posted (edited)

Pheobe.I did the drop from the tower!

when we had Soup fogs,not the piddling little bits of mist these days they call fog!Cars used to go down along Parr stocks rd.Lights on following the kerb!Ive known quite a few TURN INTO THE FIRE STATION as the kerb ended.Did he do driving training in his spare time.A mate who learned me worked on the admin.Quite a few firemen had this as a "second job".

I was also very involved on the link between the fire service checking fire hydrants and us repairing them all over the borough.In the middle 60s and into the 70s they blossomed all over as new housing came into the borough. 

The run onto Parr stocks was chicken feed.

The real test was coming out of the fire yard behind the town hall without going into the old wesley church wall that used to be opp the Gamble!.Immediate right turn into hardshaw st!

Hort its a result of figures based on incidents and no need for the old stations.Bet you dont remember the old one in Billinge?

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember those fogs non sibi. Parr Stocks was my daily route to work from Newton-le-Willows to St.Helens on the 39 bus.

On occassions the bus was crawling along. One evening I had to stay with a colleague who lived in St.Helens. The fog was so bad the buses had stopped running.

Poshie using the #39.I used to catch a bus ramford st/parr stocks.But the #39  was classed as an express type and would only stop at bulls head.So to make sure i got into town for half past 8 i walked to bulls head so i had this as a choice.Plus it helped me meet up with a girl!! on the #39 who worked in the tax office and akso one who worked in Rainford at dentist- well alls fair in love and war aint it?.One lived along Crow lane.The other at Bulls Head.One day the mayors car stopped cos Mayors driver knew me and picked me up.I think it was when Waring or Littler who i believed lived in Parr and he had dropped him  off.

The st.helens corp buses ad was A PENNY A MILE!

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Those were the days non sibi. 😀

Reckon you win hands down. Riding in the mayor's car is definitely one up from the 39 bus!  If I remember rightly buses still had clippies then .

I lived on Crow Lane East, a couple of doors up from the Old Crow Inn. The return journey home on the 39 used to stop almost outside my front door, near the red phone box we used when I was a youngster.

Edited by Phoebe

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phoebe said:

the mayor's car

Must have been the late 1940s when the Mayor's car was a pre-war Ford Prefect Reg'n CDJ 1.  I wonder if they kept the same registration details

Edited by Alan
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember the Mayor's car on Windle Hall Drive a lot in the late 60's. A classmate's father was his driver.

Very smart uniform iirc

Pheobe.I think the girl lived on Crow lane east Barbara Smith.

CDJ1 still used.

When i worked for the water authority in warrington we bought RWA1 for our chairman.But the damn taxpayers spotted it and we sold it on!! 

Tony.Red painted Buckets of sand appropriately marked FIRE.I remember those being prominently displayed in the old Shaw st station and in most stores years ago .These will be placed strategicaly around town.

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 07/01/2020 at 05:43, non sibi sed omnibus said:

One day the mayors car stopped cos Mayors driver knew me and picked me up.I think it was when Waring or Littler who i believed lived in Parr and he had dropped him  off.

You reminded me of my Mum telling me she was in a crowd watching Mayor James (Jimmy) Hand pass by in the Mayor's Coach on Parade and as he had known her for years, he invited her on board, must have been in the 60's? :bigwink:

This is Jimmy Hand.

Image result for mayor james hand st helens

Edited by Phyll