Sign in to follow this  
FRANK

Cornelius Lennon

A pal of mine is doing his family history and discovered one of his ancestors was incarcerated in Kirkdale prison during the 1891 Census. His name was Cornelius Lennon a labourer in a forge, shown as being aged 20 in the 1891 census. My pal has not been able to discover why he was in prison at the  time, and wondered if anyone might be able to shed light on the matter. Any info would be much appreciated.

23 Dec 1890 Sheffield Evening Telegraph

Cornelius Lennon, a young labourer living 22 Portland Street, Warrington  was found guilty of the assault of Mrs Isabella Harding and the assault of Charles Henry Barnes who came to the assistance of Mrs Harding.

The magistrates characterised the conduct of the prisoner as most cowardly and sent him to hard labour for 6 months.

No indication as to which court was involved - assuming Warrington

There was also  a Cornelius Thomas Lennon admitted to Prestwich Asylum, which is where they sent people when Rainhill was full. 1906 age 31 and he died there.

Thanks both, I'll pass the info on to my pal. He can check if it matches what he's got already. If you manage to discover any more details, it will be appreciated.

You would think that this name was quite unusual wouldn't you but no, there were a few with the same name when I was searching, from Manchester to Ireland.

Found Cornelius Lennon's Army Service Record. from 1890 to 1902. Details if your pal would like them.