Sign in to follow this  
marrle

1953 Party

Not sure where this photo was taken, but as I lived in Harris Street as a child I presume it was a hall quite near.

Thanks Margie

1953 reduced in size.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was the Coronation Party in the Baptists Hall which was on Lingholm Road on the park side at the junction with Boundary Road. I also lived in Harris Street (No. 77) and as an 11 year-old will be on that photograph too

Hi Alan.

Think we have spoke before we lived 124/122 Harris Street my Grannie Chorley(nee Forber) is on the photo as I am myself, lets see if anyone else sees the photo.

Margie

Did your grannie have the chip-shop and did her husband have a patch over his eye?

Yes to both Alan, never been able to find out the dates when they had the chippy.

Can't help you with dates other than that it closed some time in the early to mid 1950s.

One indelible memory is that its frying range was coal-fired and we used to look down the street to see if its dedicated flue outlet above the shop-window was smoking. This told us the chippie was open