1953 Party

marrle

I think it was the Coronation Party in the Baptists Hall which was on Lingholm Road on the park side at the junction with Boundary Road. I also lived in Harris Street (No. 77) and as an 11 year-old will be on that photograph too

• Like (+1) 1

Can't help you with dates other than that it closed some time in the early to mid 1950s.

One indelible memory is that its frying range was coal-fired and we used to look down the street to see if its dedicated flue outlet above the shop-window was smoking. This told us the chippie was open

• 1 year later...

In '53 I remember after the Queens Coronation I was standing at the corner of Kirkland St and Westfield St. with my mum, ( or is that Liverpool Rd, always get them mixed up🙄), as the Royal Car with the Queen wizzed by, I assume now it was on a whistle stop tour of England to be seen by her subjects.  I'd have been six but the memory was burned into my tiny brain because my poor parents couldn’t afford the nine pence for a flag, ( I remember the cost😱), for me to wave when what seemed like all around me had flags.  Resentful and upset at the time, much later I was able to appreciate their constant battle to put food on the table ☹️ Comparatively we have it soft and easy these days, more often than not people struggling because they cannot manage what money they have, waisting it on indulgences and 'entertainments' of various kinds.  I can still see my mother cutting old clothes into strips to make rugs ☹️

• Like (+1) 2

I was 11 at the time and watched the car go down Greenfield Road. I think it had come down the East Lancs Road from Knowsley Hall. A vivid memory is that it was preceded by a lad on a bike riding hands-free. The cops grabbed him

• Like (+1) 2

I think it was in 1954, the year I was born. :thumb:

LOCALHISTORYVIDEOS.COM

The royal visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Wigan, St Helens and Liverpool in October 1954 was day one of her first tour of Lancashire as the British monarch.

Edited by Phyll

I was at that Party in the Baptist Church, Lingholme Road, too 😁.

At the time, I was 2 years old and went with my grandmother.  My mum had given birth to my younger sister on 17th May and was still in hospital due to my sister not being well enough to come home.

Is there anyway of enlarging that photo, please, so that I can see it more clearly, Dave