Sign in to follow this  
woodsman

ANCESTRY, Members Connect

Has anyone used this section of Ancestry and did they find it useful?

I've read a fair few posts but never had an answer to mine.

• Like (+1) 1

I wondered if it was just a hunting ground for persons to lift info rather than share.

I used it some time ago.  Had a few connections which didn't really give me much information, but I stopped using it because some people were taking advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

It's another one of those "this might be a good idea" concepts that never really took off. Too complicated for most of the 'passing interest' tourists to think about and so it dies a death. It's like the 'DNA Circles' and latterly 'ThruLines' - just experiments really.

Wondered if you are better off with the likes of roots chat and local family history societies etc as Ancestry does seem to suffer from a problem of persons not replying. Whereas the likes of roots etc seems to have people who are more likely to be more helpful rather than just on ancestry for the ethnicity side.

• Like (+1) 1

Although I've never contacted anyone else on Ancestry asking for information, a few have contacted me and I've aways replied and sometimes shared relevant information.  . The only thing I don't like is that, although my Ancestry tree is private, when I've shared information with people who do have a connection, some of them have then gone on to put some of my stuff on their public tree.  Then it's up for grabs for anybody to steal your hard work, photos, documents,  etc.   

• Like (+1) 1

So not as private as one would wish. I have some photos which I have recently aquired and although my tree is also private I did notice in the small print that they are available to others.  Its a very thin line between wishing to help others and finding that others have abused your trust.        I think sites such as this, where you can find other persons who may be researching similar lines and then you can build up a rapport and coperate which is a far better solution.

• Like (+1) 1

That's a 'permissions' fault on Ancestry's part really, but it's covered in their terms of service. Ideally, if you shared a private tree with a relative they wouldn't be able to attach those things (in the normal sense), but I've noticed that even though my tree is public, quite a few of my photos have been downloaded then uploaded to other trees - attributed to them, and there isn't much that can be done. So, if you don't want to share, the best thing is to keep such items off Ancestry altogether.

The messenger on Ancestry is quite archaic. I think I read somewhere that they'll eventually be upgrading it. What's needed is a flag in the database to show if a message has been read by the recipient (like on here, like on Facebook - or anywhere else for that matter). It'd be so easy for the programmers to implement.

• Like (+1) 3