Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Political party posters in front-room window

Anyone remember when in the week leading up to polling day many St Helens residents would stick a small party poster in their front window advertising their preferred political party? In Harris Street they were mainly Labour and Tory in Dentons Green Lane

I think if you did it now, you'd be asking for a brick through the window

I remember various party members offering lifts in the car to the polling centres.

do not agree with it , it could  make friends become  enemies  ALAN 

Cars with loudspeakers on the roof ,"Vote Labour, vote for Leslie Spriggs!" .I think he lived in Lytham St Annes.  

• Like (+1) 1

my wife was a counter. Beer swilling,cigar smoking councillors to be, gawping down as they counted the votes!

• Like (+1) 1

Many still put posters and the occasional sign board in their garden in the East Midlands. It doesn't seem to be a problem. The fun starts when somebody is brave enough to draw a moustache on the huge expensive billboard belonging to our far right Conservative lady MP. She gets a bit upset about that.I think it is a finable offence, but I suppose they would have to find the culprit first. And no, I'm not guilty lol.

Your comment brings back memories non sibi. I helped with a count in St.Helens town hall back in the early seventies. I recognise your description. Some of the councillors were quite rude and intimidating. It is very different now. The counting tables are made into cordoned off squares and the counters sit inside. This gives them some protection from irate councillors!

On 01/10/2019 at 15:43, Alan said:

I think if you did it now, you'd be asking for a brick through the window

Only if it was a Tory one. Talking of Tory posters, remember these?

fromcradletooldage1929.jpgtoryrace1964conservativerascismmigrant.jpg

On 01/10/2019 at 16:17, Dig said:

I remember various party members offering lifts in the car to the polling centres.

Only time a lot of people got to ride in a car when I was young !  Wonder if they really thought you would vote for them (for the lift )