Sign in to follow this  
Billychris

Shaw Street Signal Box

My railway enthusiast friend showed me this picture. It is of a Shaw Street signal box in 1971.

The line at the back is towards Sutton Oak. I presume the one in front is the one to Liverpool.

In the background you can see the backs of the advertising hoardings . The gas holder (demolished 6 years ago) and the sign for Todd Brothers 1554517566_ShawStreetSignal(5).jpg.be763bfe4e5b6956970aa4ae859d1189.jpg

which is now where Matalan stands.

P.S.   I hope the image is large enough . It takes me ages to resize to acceptable size for forum . Is there a quick way of doing it.?

• Like (+1) 2

On 26/09/2019 at 21:51, non sibi sed omnibus said:

that damn gasometer played havoc with our black and white tele signal!! 

Its a gas holder not a gasometer.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, HORT said:

Its a gas holder not a gasometer.

As it can be known either as gasometer or gasholder in english terminology.I need to point out that it isnt-- Its a gasholder or gasometer.You sbould have wrote OR  is it written?

It WAS a gasometer or it WAS a gasholder as IT AINT THERE NOW. STOP TRYING TO BE TOO CLEVER?

To clarify, the original term when it was devised by Lavoisier was a gasomètre.In translation it became Gasometer.However scientific purists determined it to be a Gas holder.However it still retained its title gasometer in common parlance .

But in our house it was THAT BLOODY MONSTROSITY DAMAGING OUR TELE SIGNAL.So there thats another title in common parlance. 

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus