Sign in to follow this  
HORT

Eccleston Grange to be demolished

Eccleston Grange on Prescot Road is about to be demolished.

It is owned by Alfred H Knight who obtained it from Pilkington some years ago.

Previously Pilks analytical labs were in Eccleston Grange before they moved to Lathom, I worked  at the Grange for a short time in the 1960s.

I think Lord Pilkington was born in the building and unfortunately it is not a listed building.

As it can't be seen from the main road, I've never even actually seen that building.  What a disgrace that, yet ANOTHER old and elegant building is getting demolished.

There must be lots of Victorian Architects turning in their graves right now ..........................

Where my son lives in Portland Oregon.They have s programme of retro fitting buildings over 100yrs to keep them structurally sound.These have thus been converted into micro breweries,apartments snd businesses.His work as a Structural Design Engineer is heavily involved in this type of work both in the USA and overseas.If there is a will there is a way. 

But my son always as the caveat.MONEY!

I worked at Eccleston Grange for a short spell about 1961 when I used to take samples from the lab at Pilks, Ravenhead. It was a grand old place with lots of interesting features and quaint architecture. I also lived quite close and as a child we played in the grounds at the back which overlooked the local park.  Sad to hear of another piece of my history about to bite the dust

Where is Eccleston Grange?  Is it on Google maps?

8 minutes ago, morgan said:

Where is Eccleston Grange?  Is it on Google maps?

Eccleston grange is on Prescot road at Eccleston Hill.I assume it will be on  google as Its near Carmel college,west park rufc.As you go over eccleston hill to eccleston park to the grapes hotel.It is on the left hand side quite near to the SEDDON COTTAGE.A well known residence.

Yes, it on the corner of Prescot Road and Seascale Avenue.

Difficult to see because of all the trees in front of it.

Demomishing it means Lord P must be turning in his grave.

More houses JONES building them.Could have retained it as a BAIL HOSTEL?or as a Permaneant Travellers site?Quite a few good? options.

Hartley used to be boss and later Bill Ward

My uncle Albert James Blanshard worked at the 'Grange' until his early death in 1963 at the age of 52. The head of the Grange then was a gentleman called Frank Hartley and my uncle was his deputy. I remember going there with my uncle when I was a youngster inn the 1940's. Also remember another member of staff called Mr Truesdale who took me on a few days out.

I remember meeting Frank Hartley when I was a child and I also met his son when I was working for my father's company in Eccleston Street.

40 minutes ago, Callander said:

working for my father's company in Eccleston Street.

Callander, your mention of your dad's company in Eccleston Street along with an earlier conversation we had about a joint Cowlean mate we had who lived at 61 Harris Street is starting to ring a bell. Was your dad's company a plumbing supplies outlet? Your surname will come to me shortly

The name Hartley rings a bell, but I was the lowly messenger so perhaps wouldn't have come into contact with the big bosses:) Wonder when the Grange was built? I lived on the council estate at the back of the building from the mid 40's. Our local park King George V was beyond the back fence of the Grange so it became a playground for us local kids. Pictures of the place are rare probably because of its position behind those tree which surrounded the place. Sad to hear of its imminent demise though :(

Alan     My father was Len Beaman and I worked for the company for 20 years.We were indeed Plumbers' and Builders' Merchants.Sadly, the building is now flats and a disability centre. My connection with Harris Street was Alan Stout who was a fellow railway enthusiast.     

I used to go to Len Beamans for my husband who was a builder in St Helens during the 70/80s. They were very well known in St Helens, most of the local builders used them

Who is/was  your husband, I have a pretty good memory despite my advancing years? Thanks for your message re-Eccleston Grange. I  have no idea about the history of the place, but I guess someone who uses 'Connect' may know. Best wishes Tony Beaman

On 18/09/2019 at 20:24, kizzy said:

I lived on the council estate at the back of the building from the mid 40's. Our local park King George V was beyond the back fence of the Grange so it became a playground for us local kids.

You may have known my Dads family.They lived in Cumberland Avenue.

I knew a lot from Cumberland Ave, even had relatives lived there if you want to share their name (by PM if you like) I'll let you know :)