Sign in to follow this  
Billychris

Garden opposite St Teresa's in Hewitt Avenue

Yesterday during one of my walkabouts I ambled through a small park/gardens . It runs between Hewitt Avenue ( more or less opposite St Teresas) and Marsden Avenue . Only a small area of greenery but next to path through it there are about 10 old gravestones , difficult to read but thought I could see 1832 on one of them . 

Was this piece of land once the cemetery for the church ?

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for that Phyll . I counted 10 gravestones , 3 of them have fallen flat .

The link says that some of the bones were moved to St Helen's cemetery .

• Like (+1) 1

@Billychris The original gothic St Thomas Church in Westfield St was built in 1839. The cemetery in Hewitt Ave was consecrated in 1886 according to Slaters Directory of 1895.  In the 1800's regulations on burials in Town centres had been introduced and the parish church cemetery had been closed for further burials so I assume something similar happened at St Thomas.  What surprises me is that St Thomas cemetery, which was in those days accessed by a path from Knowsley Rd, was opened after the borough cemetery, it also had a mortuary chapel which some on here will remember, I just about remember a bit of a ruin.

I don't know if the bit about moving bones is correct though, the poster could have been getting mixed up with bones from the parish church or the congregational church which were moved.

• Like (+1) 1

Burials in that ground started in 1887 and the last one was in 1960.
The Chapel of rest was demolished in the 60s after all funeral ceremonies were transferred to St Helens Cemetery. Probably because of the appalling state of the place.

The graveyard was very neglected for many years, children used to take a shortcut through it on the way home from school and there was a lot of rubbish strewn and vandalism including graffiti, smashing of gravestones and stealing of wall stones by the public,  so the church decided to close the ground in 1982 and move the remains. Only a few remain now. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/09/2019 at 11:07, Phyll said:

Yes there was a Mortuary Chapel, as shown on this map along with St. Thomas's Cemetery. (Click on the map on link).

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/349797/395704/12/100674

After using your link I did a search to see if I could find another old map (without the restrictions re viewing ) I found a 1900 town plan of St Helen's on this site .

Lots of detail in it and can be zoomed in etc.

https://www.archiuk.com

On 15/09/2019 at 12:55, Billychris said:

Frank ....thanks for that link . Will check it out .

Billychris.Read my thread just been updated re Gravestones at URC.I refer to us using Fields nesr Hewitt ave.Wonder if any link?