Sign in to follow this  
Billychris

Wheatsheaf (Lionel Street)

Had a walk past the Wheatsheaf by Junction Station .Took a few picture but takes me ages to resize to acceptable size :)

Looks awful . Windows smashed ,covered in paint . So many people must pass it on train , doesn't give a very good impression of St Helens to them .

What will happen to it ? How did the vandals get the paint so high up the building ?

t ?Wheatsheafresizea.thumb.jpg.106b80eb4899fc89ea3ce0d6e36d0438.jpg

Resized another image .

You can see where all the new houses are being built.

Wheatshiftstationresize.jpg.d4d2195b8121473ab586f2e92cd740e9.jpg

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Billychris said:

Had a walk past the Wheatsheaf by Junction Station .Took a few picture but takes me ages to resize to acceptable size :)

Looks awful . Windows smashed ,covered in paint . So many people must pass it on train , doesn't give a very good impression of St Helens to them .

What will happen to it ? How did the vandals get the paint so high up the building ?

t ?Wheatsheafresizea.thumb.jpg.106b80eb4899fc89ea3ce0d6e36d0438.jpg

Hi.its rural st.helens !going back to nature.Or it could be an SAS training centre?

So utterly depressing to see what was once a grand old Victorian building in such a state. It features large in my 1940s memories of staying with my grandparents in their house opposite the Wheatsheaf - 21, Lionel Street.

Opposite the Websters in Lionel Street was a large house that had once been a pub called The Wheatsheaf. This house had a balcony on its gable-end that, according to local memory, had been used by South African War trainee soldiers shooting at targets on the earlier mentioned Battery Cob. The tenants of this house must have had one of the first TVs in St Helens because I can remember being mesmerised by the flickering figures on the tiny screen on a big box in the corner of the room.

• Like (+1) 1

What a beautiful old building!  Why on earth has it been allowed to stand empty like that, to become easy prey for every local vandal.  

• Like (+1) 1

Photo I took in 2015

1MIVesN.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Don't you know that Victorian is frowned upon in this town, only stark 70's soviet union style is good enough for us.

• Haha (+1) 1

Bloody hell,i thought the top picture was a fountain,that's a shame.