Boris

An earlier Thatto Heath Station?

I bought a copy of the 1891 map of Thatto Heath from Francis Friths'. I'm amazed to see that the station is shown in a different location to the one we all know.

It depicts it on on the land between Elephant Lane, Thatto Heath Road road bridge, Leicester Street and the old Step Bridge. In other words, it appears to have been on the Nutgrove side of the road bridge and directly opposite the library across the railway tracks. It's heavily hatched on the map but despite that, the words 'Thatto Heath Station can be clearly made out. 

The map is easily found via a Google Search and it's quite visible. I cannot find an earlier map.

My father worked on the (existing) station from about 1927 and he never said anything about it having been re-located.

Has anybody any information?

I've attached a titivated version with a slightly clearer image.

thatto-heath-1891-1892_hosm61444.jpeg

Even more puzzling!.

The only one shown on the 1891 map was the one I described. The wording of the Wiki leaves open the possibility that although a station opened in 1871, the specific location changed.

That is not the 1891 OS map.

You can view it on the link below.

When it opens just click on the x upper right hand side the white notice will disappear showing the OS map surveyed 1890 to 1891

Use mouse scroll button to zoom in.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103971

Thank You! - for the specific info. and for information about the NLS collection, which I did not know about.

You are right; no doubt about it! The two station buildings are shown clearly. The I am very glad that you pointed thatt out. The Frith Map is quite pretty, but clearly not accurate.

What prompted my original search for the station, apart from having stood on it for hours (most memorably, in 1953, waiting for the 10.30pm train to St. Helens, in order to transfer to the first of the Wembley Specials, at midnight), was a book I am reading. You may know it...if you you don't but are interested in the history of UK railways (except the train numbers and how the engines were made) you'll enjoy it very much. Last night I learned that the railways quickly made the old drove roads redundant with a knock on effect for the pubs and shops which depended on the flow of cattle and their drovers through the local markets.  An earlier version of the battering which new technology is today giving to the high streets. Book is by: Simon Bradley; Title: 'The Railways, nation, network and people'. Thatto Heath isn't in it. Despite that, I recommend it.

Boris

Even more puzzling!.

The only one shown on the 1891 map was the one I described. The wording of the Wiki leaves open the possibility that although a station opened in 1871, the specific location changed.