Alan

Bridge Street, St Helens

An article elsewhere on this website about Tyrers made me wonder, why is Bridge Street so named? My memory of the street from the 1950s is that it went from Church Street by the old market down to the start of Liverpool Road. I cannot recall a bridge being there unless there was originally one over the brook or canal

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alan said:

An article elsewhere on this website about Tyrers made me wonder, why is Bridge Street so named? My memory of the street from the 1950s is that it went from Church Street by the old market down to the start of Liverpool Road. I cannot recall a bridge being there unless there was originally one over the brook or canal

Alan in the 1800s the Windle Brook was an OPEN brook.The appropriate crossing of it was here.Hence the names.As I am sure you know,the brook was eventually culverted.This fed into the then canal system.Perhaps we could look at nearby WATER ST As well.

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus
  • Like (+1) 1

I guessed correctly. Spoggy Brook is what we knew it as. Runs in a culvert from Queens Rec Park at Dilloway Street end to the canal near the old Pilks Sheet Works

Ta Non Sibi

At the bottom of Bridge Street - where Liverpool Road was, there was Kitts Bridge. On the other side of Liverpool Road, going towards what is now Canal Street (then the canal) was Bridgewater Street, then the Tavern Bridge crossing the canal, leading to the Navigation Tavern.

Bridge_Question.png

• Like (+1) 1

What date is that map, Dave?

Sorry, I meant to say - 1851.

12 hours ago, Dave said:

Sorry, I meant to say - 1851.

Must have  been an old one cos couldnt find THE RANGE on it..

This plaque is over the Nelson pub,it may help to date Bridge st.

C88D1657-9FC9-46AF-9B98-1CDB630A0A8F.jpeg

Posted (edited)

"In 1956, construction work in the vicinity of Bridge Street / Church Street in the town centre unearthed remains of grain pounders and two ancient wells, dating back several centuries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_St_Helens,_Merseyside

"One of the oldest streets in the town centre, Bridge Street most likely took its name from the bridge at the west end which once crossed the Windle-Eccleston brook (which fed into the canal system)."

https://www.sthelens-connect.net/home/doc.php?showstreet=39&extra=cenhelp

Edited by Phyll