Sign in to follow this  
Big_Jeff_Leo

Rainhill Rocket 190 Celebrations

Posted (edited)

Here are some images taken earlier today of the event which runs from Today, Tomorrow (Sunday) and Bank Holiday Monday.

The event in Rainhill Village is a culmination of more than four years of work by the Rocket 190 Steering Group and local voluntary groups including Rotary, Rainhill Gala, Women’s Institute and many more.

Events on Saturday include: a model rail exhibition, flower festival, vintage motorcycle exhibition as well as exhibitions organised by the Railway & Heritage, Civic Society and others. The highlight however, will be the unveiling of a plaque to signify the importance of the trials. This is being installed on the platform at Rainhill station.

All events taking place on Saturday, including the display of the Rocket, will be from 10am until 4pm with a special musical concert in the evening. Tickets are available.

On Sunday be prepared for a spectacular parade along Warrington Road from Rainhill Stoops through to the village which will include floats, marching bands, dancing groups and vintage vehicles – and of course the Rocket will be joining in. Once back in the village the parade will lead everyone to a giant tea party where there will be live performances and entertainment.

Finally, on the Monday the annual Rainhill Gala will take place in the village centre with even more attractions for the family.

rainhill 1.jpg

Rainhill 5.jpg

Rainhlill 2.jpg

Rainhlill 4.jpg

Rainhlill 6.jpg

Rainhlill 7.jpg

Rainhlill 8.jpg

Rainhlill 9.jpg

Rainhlill 11.jpg

Rainhlill 14.jpg

Rainhlill 12.jpg

Rainhlill 15.jpg

Rainhlill 16.jpg

Rainhlill 17.jpg

Rainhlill 18.jpg

Rainhlill 19.jpg

Rainhlill 22.jpg

Rainhlill 20.jpg

Rainhlill 24.jpg

Rainhlill 25.jpg

Rainhlill 21.jpg

Rainhlill 23.jpg

Edited by Big_Jeff_Leo
  • Like (+1) 2

I wish I could attend. I still have great memories of the 1975 Shildon Rail Parade and all the old steam locos that took part that day

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

I wish I could attend.

You can Alan, just get in the car and come down :D People where there from all over the Country!!!

Posted (edited)

Oh, OK then. To Hell with the wife the rest of the family and domestic duties 😄

Edited by Alan

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Oh, OK then. To Hell with the wife the rest of the family and domestic duties 😄

If you do get to come down.Dont for heavens sake pick up any  hitchiker called Grayling.Its engineering work around again and hes got probs getting there!.He'll prob mess everything theyve done to make it a success

Great pics.

Was anyone there dressed up as Huskinson?

No Hort and anyway he could not be run over again as the train was fixed firmly to the rails :rolleyes:

Great pictures Jeff. I really enjoyed hearing the sound of the B.I. buzzer, it brought back memories of well over sixty years ago. Running from the Station Road gate and just managing to clock in at the Export Clocking Station. Wish I could do it now.