Sign in to follow this  
HORT

The Abbey Pub closure

The Abbey pub in Hard lane closes at the  end of business, 9 pm on Sunday May 12th.

Do not worry.

Its a twelve week closure for extensive refurbishment works.

See you all there in the new surroundings.

Posted (edited)

In the past few years, we've enjoyed meals there on lots of occasions but, I have to say, that on the last couple of visits we've felt very let down.  It's felt 'run-down' and as though the staff didn't care about the customers at all.  Felt as though they all needed to go for Staff Retraining :(.

Will be good to see what it's like afterwards and to see if the food improves.

Edited by Olliebeak

The reason it went down was due to the the brewery Holts.

When Mark was landlord and did his own menu, it was brill and everyone loved it.

The meal and  bar sales went up and up because of the menu.

Then, as other pub owners have done, they put the charge for him using the kitchen up to a ridiculous level.

Mark said no and Holts put their own menu and staff in.

The menu was crap and the staff knew it.

That is went it all went down.

Mark left.

A new manager took over, the people stopped going .

The manager left and now there is a good manageress and its well run but no food.

The same situation happened in the Eagle and Child Billinge when Hazel and Chris had it, soaring sales because of the good food, so the owners put the kitchen rental up to stupid levels so they packed in.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that explanation, Hort :thumb: - completely makes sense now!

After Mum died, our family has gone to the Crem on her birthday, Mother's Day, her anniversary and the anniversary of scattering her ashes, so The Gerrard, (where she used to work) or The Abbey (where Dad used to drink occasionally) were really convenient venues for us.  Hope they decide to do food again - then we can give it another chance.

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

Good explanation...this is the case when I last visited. Will not be going in until higher standards are re-introduced. There was never a need to shoot yourself in the barrel. Poor form Holts.

1 hour ago, Aquaphibian said:

Good explanation...this is the case when I last visited. Will not be going in until higher standards are re-introduced. There was never a need to shoot yourself in the barrel. Poor form Holts.

quite a common trick by breweries even darn sarf.

then you could get the footie/sports pub.Screens in every room.

The Abbey is due to re=open the first week in Sptember

I grew up with the Abbey and Gerrard pubs. When I was a child, my granddad used to use both as my wife and I did when we lived in St Helens. My memory tells me that one was predominantly CoE and the other RC in terms of most of the customers. Can anyone remember which was which?

I think the Abbey was the RC.