Robbob2010

Horseshoe Pub under threat

Shame if it does go but times are changing and the old communities and friendships built around the local pubs and clubs are starting to die off now. Won't be much left in the Derby Hill end of Parr if it does close, just Parr cons, Church Tavern and Bold miners I think. Cherry Tree gone, Engine gone, Hen and Chickens gone, Railway gone, Bulls head gone. I was a Bee hive lad myself and grew up with generations of my family being regulars. From my grandad and my parents through to aunts and uncles and cousins, the local was a big part of family life and i miss it.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, SaintJeff said:

Shame if it does go but times are changing and the old communities and friendships built around the local pubs and clubs are starting to die off now. Won't be much left in the Derby Hill end of Parr if it does close, just Parr cons, Church Tavern and Bold miners I think. Cherry Tree gone, Engine gone, Hen and Chickens gone, Railway gone, Bulls head gone. I was a Bee hive lad myself and grew up with generations of my family being regulars. From my grandad and my parents through to aunts and uncles and cousins, the local was a big part of family life and i miss it.

People dont TALK anymore.Bet if they gave free mobiles with every drink they would sit side by side texting each other in the bar.CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT!!

On 25/04/2019 at 12:24, non sibi sed omnibus said:

People dont TALK anymore.Bet if they gave free mobiles with every drink they would sit side by side texting each other in the bar.CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT!!

Or free WiFi.   Oh, they do. 

Home entertainment is no longer a radio, or just a television and video, you now have the Internet and you have multiple channels, also Netflix and the like.  Smoking ban also contributed. People also don't earn enough to drink every night if they have their own home. So they get a crate from the supermarket for a fraction of the price.  Go to Liverpool City centre pubs and bars in the more tourist areas are charging over 4 quid a pint..... May as well get a box of ten cans for a tenner out of Asds and watch sky sports or Netflix with the lads round. 

Also, people are getting healthier.  Not as many drinking, more going the gym. 

Saying people don't talk maybe true but then you get some people in pubs you would rather not talk to.  See the appeal to sitting in. 

14 hours ago, Dr Display said:

Or free WiFi.   Oh, they do. 

Home entertainment is no longer a radio, or just a television and video, you now have the Internet and you have multiple channels, also Netflix and the like.  Smoking ban also contributed. People also don't earn enough to drink every night if they have their own home. So they get a crate from the supermarket for a fraction of the price.  Go to Liverpool City centre pubs and bars in the more tourist areas are charging over 4 quid a pint..... May as well get a box of ten cans for a tenner out of Asds and watch sky sports or Netflix with the lads round. 

Also, people are getting healthier.  Not as many drinking, more going the gym. 

Saying people don't talk maybe true but then you get some people in pubs you would rather not talk to.  See the appeal to sitting in. 

Then if you can get into a doctor you can be dragged into a health course to get rid of your beer belly. After realising your paying over the odds for sky etc,watching something in between the ads advertising more  ads! of channels you "must have" And just think you would be listening to those half baked sports pundits.OH I AM NOT TALKING OF THOSE ON THIS SITE BUT SKY!

Erm...... What? 

On 08/05/2019 at 18:22, Dr Display said:

Erm...... What? 

as confused as when i try to read one of your scrips.!

1 hour ago, non sibi sed omnibus said:

as confused as when i try to read one of your scrips.!

Confused or angered that I dare disagree with you? 

Hi, Robbob2010

Great photo of the Horseshoe.  I checked on flickr and see that all rights are reserved.  I wondered if it would be permissable for me to use on my ancestry family tree.  It would be seeable by the public and may be copied by other members.  I would attribute it to yourself.  No problem if this is not possible.  This photo brings back lots of memories.  My bus used to stop on Broadoak Road on my way to and from work way back in the early 1970s.  I have also just discovered that the pub was run by a Richard Marsh on the 1871 and 1881 censuses. Richard was apparently an ancestor of a relative of mine. I came across your photo whilst searching for an image to put on my tree.

Regards,

Phoebe

Posted (edited)

Robbob can you contact us as soon as you get chance we got some new pics for you to take we've been renovating the horseshoe thought you might be interested.

Regards Kolin and Andrea

horseshoeparr@gmail.com

Edited by kolandandiattheshoe