Oreet all

I'm an urban explorer and yesterday I decided to take an 'urbex' walk along the canal from the hotties and crossed the Steve Prescott bridge to photograph the old cannington Shaw building, then I decided to go down the embankment to have a closer look. 

I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history?... When it was in operation to and from? What it was used for? Etc. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers, 

JohnH

(P.S- I know it's history has probably been posted on here before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.) 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JOHN-F-HAWORTH said:

Oreet all

I'm an urban explorer and yesterday I decided to take an 'urbex' walk along the canal from the hotties and crossed the Steve Prescott bridge to photograph the old cannington Shaw building, then I decided to go down the embankment to have a closer look. 

I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history?... When it was in operation to and from? What it was used for? Etc. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers, 

JohnH

(P.S- I know it's history has probably been posted on here before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.) 

I have been inside it a few times and explored the Tunnels underneath  (put loads of pictures on here ) 

think they must have got lost during the forum upgrades 

Edited by mally
  • Like (+1) 3

I replied to this on the Echo

Look at this facebook page for the friends of Cannington Shaw, they will tell you all and also the story of how they saved it from demolition and how they are trying to get the place restored.

https://www.facebook.com/CanningtonShaw/

• Like (+1) 2

I worked at UGB for three months in 1961. Memories fade but there were two very ancient buildings, either of which could have been the Cannington Shaw building. They were both close to the lodge-entrance behind the old gas-works. One housed a huge glassware forming machine called the Owens Machine. This made pressed glassware such as tankards. The other building which had a similar shape had long-since ceased to function for glass-making and was used as a factory stores for all kinds of consumables plus the storage of redundant moulds. If I had to choose, my money would be on the latter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1