Industrial view

Old buses and operators of st.helens

The early 1990s was a time for transport at its best. You’ve heard of the saying 3 buses turn up at once, well back in the early 90s you would get 3 different operators at once. Not like today where it is just 1 big company that operates all routes. Some of the small companies had interesting vehicles, ogdens travel had some strange but interesting vehicles in service.

Lots of St. Helens Bus Videos on You Tube. :thumb:

Loads of buses in the Transport Musuem in town.

Some good videos on there phyll the Leyland national was a favourite of mine😁. Hi dig yeah I went to the museum in town last year not been back since there may be some different vehicles in there now. Worth a trip I think.i remember the little town flyer went round the estate off fleet lane then back to town. Then it did a run down to Derbyshire hill and the estate off there. Thanks everyone 👍🏻

Another good operator back in the late 90s was south lancs travel. They to had some interesting buses in service I think they ended up being taken over by arriva or MTL trust holdings as they was called at the time. South lancs travel are back in operation today but they now cover the Wigan, Leigh and atherton areas.

Hi, IV. I don't know if you already have any but there is quite an interesting set of books about local buses by a guy called TB Maund

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hi Alan thanks for the info. I have read a few books but not the 1 you mention that’s a new 1 to me.😁 So I think I will be looking out for that 1 thanks again🤗👍🏻

Just sent you a private message

I remember ogdens travel had 4 or 5 mk2 leyland nationals in the early 1990s, does anyone know what happened to these buses.i remember them being in regular day to day service but they just seemed to disappear all of a sudden.🤔

10 minutes ago, Industrial view said:

I remember ogdens travel had 4 or 5 mk2 leyland nationals in the early 1990s, does anyone know what happened to these buses.i remember them being in regular day to day service but they just seemed to disappear all of a sudden.🤔

There have been a couple of fires in their coach storage area.mmm?

Yeah there as been now you mention it 😁 I’m not sure that was the case this time though. I’m presuming they where scrapped a shame if they where because there isn’t many of them restored in preservation.

I got told yesterday that Red Kite travel on Baxters Lane is closing...will have to go and get a picture.

1 hour ago, Robbob2010 said:

I got told yesterday that Red Kite travel on Baxters Lane is closing...will have to go and get a picture.

Do you mean they are moving or gone bust.. Seen a few of their vehicles driving round town. 

I don't know yet Nsso but if i find out i'll post.