SaintJeff

Old St.Helens Videos

great vid  nice to see how busy the town was.  compare this with present day

My mate worked there, he was an electrician, Ian Gee, his dad was a chargehand IIRC, anyway he served his time there as an apprentice spark and had a bad accident when he fell on a piece of glass and injured his hand and arm. He took me for a walk around one day, I'll never forget it, we arrived on our motorbikes and went in, we walked all around the site wearing our leathers and bike helmets and nobody batted an eyelid. Just as we were leaving someone shouted us to stop, we turned around and it was his dad, he only stopped us because he recognised the helmets and wondered what we were doing there.

I served my time at a steel pressings place off Reginald Road, Penlake industrial estate, behind what used to be Reginalds, the big store in the late 80's, all that's gone now. I wonder if anyone has any photos of the old place, it would be nice to see it again and show my grandson.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Very good Jeff, here's the embedded version, Dave taught me how. :bigwink: Hope it works.

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Phyll said:

Very good Jeff, here's the embedded version, Dave taught me how

Excellent Phyll. Took me right back to my days at Triplex in the 1960s before that daft 6 weeks strike that ruined the business. That strike did me a favour though as it spurred me on to get a job in Cumbria. Thanks again, makes a pleasant change from politics and nutty conspiracy theories

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I enjoyed it, it brought back memories for me too, as far back as I can remember my Dad worked at Pilks City Rd. and I remember when he was on Strike, but he went back and even after he had a very bad accident with his hand they still kept him on as a Janitor until he eventually retired.

Here's another one you might find interesting.

Edited by Phyll