Sign in to follow this  
Robbob2010

150 homes on former Carr Mill Cafe and land.

I don't know how big the homes are going to be.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/17366864.plans-to-flatten-eyesore-and-create-150-homes-at-carr-mill/

Various pics over the years...

31844103517_c33b96ffcc_c.jpgFormer Carrmill Cafe by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

46060755114_7ef3c35a91_c.jpgFormer Carrmill Cafe by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

46060753484_3b4266895b_c.jpgFormer Carrmill Cafe by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

46785907471_67b85b29fa_c.jpgFormer Carrmill Cafe by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 1

I remember it being called Burkhills cafe in the 50s and 60s. When playing around the dam, you could nip across the New Road and buy a crust with jam on it for a penny from the side window.

Do the Burkhills still own it?

All's i know is Bob who runs the Auctions over the road owns it.

1 hour ago, Brianza said:

I remember it being called Burkhills cafe in the 50s and 60s. When playing around the dam, you could nip across the New Road and buy a crust with jam on it for a penny from the side window.

Do the Burkhills still own it?

Yep he does.He was offered around 3 million for the site prev,but didn't want to sell.

Be interesting cos of the motor auctions?all the viditors on auction day.

That is a lot of 1d crusts with jam !!!

Two points if it goes ahead:

The properties will need to be treble-glazed if the occupants are to hear each other speak

I can just imagine the queues of traffic at the East Lancs Road lights each morning

Simple double and triple glazing will increase road sound transmission unless the panes are different thicknesses.

I used to have a flat about 100yds from spaghetti junction and all the windows in all the properties in the area were retrofitted with triple glazing when the motorway was constructed in the 70's. With the windows closed, you couldn't hear a thing from the traffic. I now live in North Birmingham about 2.5 miles from the junction and when the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can still hear the traffic from the motorway when I'm outside. 

Even worse those electric trains above them are not quiet. They will be affordable homes, no one else would be mad enough desperate enough to live there

1 hour ago, RATTY said:

Even worse those electric trains above them are not quiet. They will be affordable homes, no one else would be mad enough desperate enough to live there

Yeah the ones from The Liverpool road Ghetto / Greenbelt  will be glad to live there !

Is Affordable a bad thing ? 

Edited by mally

Those trains pass about once every twenty minutes and the noise is not excessive and last for less than 20 seconds.

Houses built close by need to be fitted with acoustic double glazing designed to reduce  railway noise.

This is glass with different thicknesses and one or both panes with laminated glass with acoustic interlayers.

Expensive but worth it.

McDonalds put in an offer years ago but Bob turned it down so i was told.

The traffic is bad now coming out of  Woodlands Rd (Auction side) onto Carrmill Rd.Some of these new houses i guess will have 1,2 or even 3 cars.

I really can't imagine all them houses going on there but it must have been drawn up.

added 4 minutes later

I forgot...1 bungalow as well :)

Ah Ha...i just read the new story.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/17374147.work-could-begin-later-this-year-on-150-homes-at-eyesore-off-laffak-road-carr-mill/

The new build is on Former United Footwear and The Auctions too...Bob must have sold the lot.

11875071513_2107e56c3e_c.jpgCarrmill Auction by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

26299806865_b69fb65a1c_c.jpgCarrmill Auctions by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

25694937634_e26dfefcfa_c.jpgCarrmill Auctions by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

Rear end below

25694936364_2273851953_c.jpgCarrmill Auctions by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

33944030302_13b656a0cd_c.jpgUnited Footwear. by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

26435801652_7e6059db5a_c.jpgFormer United Footwear,Carrmill by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

8785715139_d0915a0934_c.jpgFormer United Footwear by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

8796331680_0f225652c8_c.jpgFormer United Footwear by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

added 1 minute later

The land goes right the way back too from the Auctions to United Footwear

• Like (+1) 2

This makes the case bigger for a Railway Station in the area, A station at Carr Mill is planned but is on Merseytravels 30 year plan (we are about 5 years into that)

2 hours ago, Terence Price said:

This makes the case bigger for a Railway Station in the area, A station at Carr Mill is planned but is on Merseytravels 30 year plan (we are about 5 years into that)

The planning application makes a specific reference to LAND ALLOCATED FOR A NEW STATION TO REMAIN.

Then theyve got to sort the station parking!!