Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

path from ship inn to carr mill

Some years ago we regularly took this path. On the way there was a disused cottage.The path was rather overgrown and did flood at times. I seem to remember bluebells all round thst area.

Ive never been down that route now for many years. Wonder is this route been done as a Ranger walk?

Path is still accessible from the Ship to Carr Mill,I remember a deep mine shaft,now fenced off.Easy walk,flat and tarmac surface.

When are you talking about ? you dont pass any cottages if you follow the stream under the lancs ?

I walked up there in the mid fifties when we went on nature walks from St Mary's school. I don't remember any cottages but my mam told me that there used to be several on the right hand side just after you go past the slitting mill on the way to Carr Mill.

Posted (edited)

If you turn to the right and go through  (we used to call it Johnnies wood ) there were some old houses I am pretty sure Robbob put some pictures of them on here a while back 

I also read about the Stanley bank cottages but I dont think they were in living memory 

Copper house row ring a bell (i think I read that somewhere ) 

Edited by mally

If you go towards Carr mill, the cottage was between slitty mill and the bridge where the stream passes underneath from left to right.  It was still there in the late 1940s.

On the o.s.six inch map it's shown with P beside it.  I think this is the symbol for a well with a hand pump.

3 hours ago, Dig said:

Path is still accessible from the Ship to Carr Mill,I remember a deep mine shaft,now fenced off

Dig its still fenced off now

ENCED uyLsoRT.jpg 

• Like (+1) 1

As a young lad I remember fishing in Carr Mill also along that path to the Blackbrook basin.to catch perch and pike.

Spent nearly all my childhood down there and a lot of my early adult life  I could walk from parr flash to the dam blindfold !

Happy days,no need for hi tec stuff in those days.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:32, non sibi sed omnibus said:

Any info over the cottage that used to be there.

Mrs Banks lived there, as kids we used to call on the way back from Happy Valley. Always got a drink and a piece of cake from her, a lovely woman.

I also remember the Toffee shop at Carr Mill near the fairground.

we used to go over to Burkils for a chip crust for a penny 

What a magical place Carr Mill was to us youngsters from Harris Street! We used to bike there along what in the early 1950s was still called the New Road (A580). It had everything, fishing, rowing-boats, fun fair, swimming, hydroplane racing, miniature railway, caravan that sold toffee and ice-cream and plenty of woodland for boyhood adventures

Some people still call the East Lancs Road the New Road.

I was told loads of lads sat and watched the motors around TT week going to Liverpool on the New Road .

And in the 1940s going to the Grand National.

Not forgetting all the bikers.

When they built the now defunct pipeline to Haydock from Heysham? Is there still any trace of it? Burkhills provided the yanks who worked on it, massive steaks etc.

Wonder if the Burkhills will open their cafe again up for all the lorries zooming down past it?when Florida is up and running.

Burkhills is a prime site must be worth loads.Mc Donald’s Costa ect.The owners are sitting on a gold mine.

5 hours ago, non sibi sed omnibus said:

My uncle was one of the workers in the 1930s when it was THE NEW ROAD.

My  dad got a speeding ticket for doing 11 mph on it and it wasn't officially opened.

I did not know that speeding tickets were around in the 1930s

17 hours ago, HORT said:

I did not know that speeding tickets were around in the 1930s

It was on his Vehicle Driving Licence.