jowen

Paddy's Ackle

My grandad used to take me for a walk down Delta Rd over the fields. On the left hand side of the Field there was a huge pond which used to ice over in the winter and people used to skate on it.  I was told that a few people had been drowned in this pond because of the ice giving way! does anyone know if this area was called Paddy's Ackle?  We then continued onto the little stone bridge over the Stinky Brook and over the field to the Ship Inn , along the side of the stream to Carr Mill. There was a Big stone in this stream. Grandad used to tell me that it was the fairy stone and every night the fairies would turn it over! On  other occasions I would be taken on the same route by my father but after we had crossed over the stone bridge we would turn left along the side of the brook (I was allway's scared in case a rat came out of the brook) under a little stone bridge and up some steps onto Boardmans lane and then  cross over another small field onto Park Rd where I went to Brookfield Mission Sunday School ( fondly known as the Tin Hut) because of it's construction. We used to play for hours in the fields at the bottom of Delta Rd, making daisy chains and picking buttercups.  Happy Days!

• Like (+1) 1

I remember that pond it was quite deep and had a lot of big perch in it.  I think it was a storage resevoir for the chemical works known as Paddy's blunder.

The stream from the Ship inn to Carr mill had fresh water mussels in it, and there was a cottage half way along the path.

Are you talking about Blackbrook Basin which used to be part of the canal that was deep and wide ? 

No. I was talking about the bottom end of Delta Road on the field just past the graveyard of St Peter's Church over to the left. It was a very big pond.

cant place it myself ? I know where the blunder was so it makes sense but cant remember the pond 

Amazing find thank you. I remember most of the content in this article. I have enjoyed reading it so much it really broght back so many memorable times.

Bloody hell Mally that is brilliant. where on earth did you find it?

An amazing find. When I saw the picture of the flashes and the path to Carrmill Dam, it brought back so many happy memories. I wonder if there are any pictures around of the Old Double Lock Cottages. My great Grandfather William Travis lived in one of them in the 1880's. Also I can remember at the bottom of Boardmans Lane right on the bend there were some post's on what was part of the canal and I was told it was where the boats were tied up. It was on the ground where the Big School is now. Does anyone know of any photographs of these two places?

at the bottom of park road where the  stinky brook (as it used to be called ) goes under the road the stone canal bank can still be seen it follows the road for a little bit !

The foto of the path mally  from ship inn to carr mill covers a thread i put on about a walk we did as a kid and asked was it still open. Wonderful other fotos as i worked for EA in Warrington. I wonder with all this DIGITAL FOTO STUFF.Will people or organisations actually display such fotos in the future .Or will they simply be DELETED when MEMORY FULL?

I wonder how many of todays schoolchildren or their teachers know about all this industrial history OR CARE?

1 hour ago, non sibi sed omnibus said:

The foto of the path mally  from ship inn to carr mill covers a thread i put on about a walk we did as a kid and asked was it still open. Wonderful other fotos as i worked for EA in Warrington. I wonder with all this DIGITAL FOTO STUFF.Will people or organisations actually display such fotos in the future .Or will they simply be DELETED when MEMORY FULL?

I wonder how many of todays schoolchildren or their teachers know about all this industrial history OR CARE?

Yes I often wonder that as well ! I have walked the Sankey With my grandkids as far as warrington ant the Fiddlers ferry marina to  spike island locks recently and tried to tell them as much as I know about what it was like (even in my time ) !  But IDK things are changing and our Industrial history seems to be looked on with more of a sense of shame rather than pride ?

2 hours ago, mally said:

Yes I often wonder that as well ! I have walked the Sankey With my grandkids as far as warrington ant the Fiddlers ferry marina to  spike island locks recently and tried to tell them as much as I know about what it was like (even in my time ) !  But IDK things are changing and our Industrial history seems to be looked on with more of a sense of shame rather than pride ?

2 hours ago, mally said:

Ive know found via Phyll some info needed.We had a relative in 1720s shown as a glassworker in SUTTON . I asked if anyone could shine a light.She put a link on for me.

It would appear that LEAF'S glass works was around at that time.It was info about him we had via the Lancs Parish project they confirmed on LDS .I dont know what further info we can find though about the actual works and him etc via lds or any other site. He may have been owed SOME BACK PAY OR OVERTIME? Could be a lot with all the accumulated interest etc!