terry8207

CAT'S TAIL HALL

Cat's Tail Hall is shown on the 1840s Ordnance Survey map, at the top end of the field on what is now Lorton Avenue, Moss Bank. It is shown demolished when the 1880s OS map is published.

I have searched all the obvious records for info on this building (Internet, Baines history of The Duchy of Lancaster, Gerard family records, local newspapers), but can find nothing.

Can anyone refer me to alternative sources of research.

Terry

Thanks Olliebeak, I had not seen this article.

I had surmised that perhaps the name came from the shape of Clinkham Wood. Feral cat tails is as plausible I suppose.

Terry

• Like (+1) 1

CATS TAIL HALL

Cat's Tail Hall is shown on the 1840s Ordnance Survey map, at the top end of the field on what is now Lorton Avenue, Moss Bank. It is shown demolished when the 1880s OS map is published.

In early January 2019 I asked for assistance on the St Helens Connect site, hoping someone else may have researched this hall, and could let me know why the name.

I believe I have now exhausted the obvious research areas and must let this lie. To assist anyone in the future the following is a list of my research.

OS maps 1849 and 1888
            Yates 1786 map of Lancashire (Kirkby Library)
            David Rumsey Historical Map dated 1794 (Lancashire Archives)(LA)
            Gerard family documents in LA
                        DDGE-M 474-486 Land Conveyance at Mss Bank
                        DDGE-M 813-816 18 century list of Windle tenants
                        DDGE-E 466 Gamekeeper appointment 1840 (John Foster)
            Windle Tithe Maps (1808) & Schedules (LA Ref DRL 1/88)
                        Cats Tail Hall would be on Plot No 663
                        In 1840 the occupant is Peter Almond (Farmer, living at Black Horse)
                        This land is owned by Sir John Gerard (of Garswood Hall)
            One response on St Helens Connect thought the name  may have been in reference to Feral Cats
            Maybe the shape of Clinkham Wood is relevant
            Most likely reason for the name is from Cattail, a sort of bulrush. The area isn’t called Moss Bank for nothing

To the rear of the present property, and viewable from within Clinkham Wood, is a very old single storey building. This could have been for storage but, to me, it looks like a shippon.

I hope my research eases the frustration of anyone who follows.

• Like (+1) 1

Terry, just had a look on the NLS maps website and Cat's Tail Hall is shown on all the OS maps from the original 1849 to the 1906, 1925 and 1938 editions. After that, (1943 edition)  the building is labelled 'The Grange'.  The site now appears to be occupied by a rather impressive looking house -   3rd one down on the left coming from Moss Bank Rd.

Moss Bank road from the Railway pub upwards used to be called "Pikes Brow"

Also I cannot find Cats Tail Hall on the 1849 OS map, but it is on the later ones.

Thanks HORT. Cats Tail Hall, with no annotation, is shown as a substantial building in 1849. On this map it is just above the C of Clinkham Wood.

Yes I can see it. Its actually just inside the wood and quite a distance from the road, so I do not think there is a building that far away from the road now.

If you go to the NLS site and select the 'side by side ' option, you can place the curser over the location of Cat's Tail Hall on an early map and simultaneously see its exact location on a present day map. That's how I was able to see that the location is now occupied by the house I mentioned earlier.