Industrial view

Shaw street railway sidings

Does anyone remember what traffic used the sidings most? I remember there always being mineral wagons in the sidings and often a train of tankers. 

Those where the days when the hays chemicals train used to take in a couple of empty tankers and bring out the full 1s. The train would run round it’s tanks before Peasley cross bridge then propel them about half a mile to the works. The driver would always give a wave or a blast of the horn as we would watch on the footbridge at manor street😁

Thanks phyll some good pictures there of shaw street. I can’t believe how heavily overgrown the old sidings are now a days. Such a shame considering how busy shaw street goods yard used to be back in the day. The old Runcorn gap line that folks off at the end of the Liverpool bound platform is very overgrown to. Just think of all the destinations people could get to if the line to st.helens junction would have still be open today.

• Like (+1) 2

Who can remember the branch line that went from shaw street and it joined up with the Runcorn gap line near ravenhead junction. It left shaw street at pocket nook near the college went over the canal and what was atlas street. It would have passed what is now the council yard and joined the Runcorn gap line near ravenhead junction.

Have you looked in the images on here on Connect? They are in the menus bar under WEBSITE >PHOTOS but here is a link 

https://www.sthelens-connect.net/home/showpics.php?currentpage=1&search=railway&Go=Search+%2F+Clear

This site may help too. http://www.8dassociation.btck.co.uk/TheStHelensRuncornGapRailway

This is a thread about the old line

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/st-helens-central-st-helens-junction-rail-link.88384/

And this one shows the proposed renewal of the line from Carr Mill through to Junction although who knows if that will ever happen. 

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/10559520.Town_is_on_track_for_joined_up_thinking/

added 1 minute later

Just read this too, interesting.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sutton_manor_colliery/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi ratty I had a good look threw those links and there is some really good info and history of the old Runcorn gap line. I’m really surprised that the line was never kept open at least to the junction given the historical importance of the line. This being  It crosses the Sankey canal just after leaving shaw street heading in the Liverpool direction this canal being the oldest canal in the world. Then as it came to the old intersection bridge near st.helens junction where this was the first railway line  in the world to cross another railway.

Some good info there IV but its not the oldest canal in the world.

I have actually Pissed in the oldest canal in the world  my mate took a picture ( dont know what happened to that )  

added 3 minutes later

Grand_Canal%2C_tour_boats%2C_Suzhou%2C_C

Sorry guys I ment to say it was know as the Sankey brook navigation, it was, in practice, a discrete canal the first canal to be built in England in modern times. It opened as far as the old double lock at black brook by 1757 several years before the first part of the bridge water canal was opened.

1 hour ago, Industrial view said:

Sorry guys I ment to say it was know as the Sankey brook navigation, it was, in practice, a discrete canal the first canal to be built in England in modern times. It opened as far as the old double lock at black brook by 1757 several years before the first part of the bridge water canal was opened.

Okay but how long ago are modern times?

Do you mean there were no canals in England before modern times?

Seen a train of wagons go threw st.helens shaw street around lunch time today. Could this be on its way to the pilkingtons sidings?

1 hour ago, Industrial view said:

Seen a train of wagons go threw st.helens shaw street around lunch time today. Could this be on its way to the pilkingtons sidings?

maybe dropping all the crap goods on sale in town?at the pound shops etc, 

• Haha (+1) 1

Your right there ns there isn’t much  in town these days. It is just made up now of pound shops, coffee shops and charity shops.

5 minutes ago, Industrial view said:

Your right there ns there isn’t much  in town these days. It is just made up now of pound shops, coffee shops and charity shops.

Its that bad that chuggers have vanished?God only knows what will happen once they sack the college staff  and reduce the courses, close the 14 to 16 academy?Mostly students seen pounding down church at at lunchtime to pound bakery, greggs etc . 

Yes ns I did here that the 14 to 16 academy is going. (Cut backs everywhere) The town centre needs a lot of new shops to open and bring people in because otherwise there is nothing there for many people to go for. Nowadays. Should drop the price of rent on the shop and stalls on market and maybe we would have a more busyer town. You only have to take a look at Warrington they got all the shops and is always busy.